AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looking for methods to ensure all drawings and referenced models are up to date for non-Solidworks users

Question asked by Adam Doerr on Aug 21, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2018 by Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

We consistently have trouble with engineers not properly checking out and updating referenced drawings and models, causing the downstream "customer" (internal or external machine shops, builders, sales, management, etc) to only be able to see the out of date versions of these files when viewed in eDrawings or other viewers. Machining tends to catch most of them as they import the Solidworks model and if it doesn't match the print they start asking questions (sometimes the differences have to be quite obvious for them to notice the discrepancy). To the engineer everything looks gravy when they open things in Solidworks and print the drawings, so it's way too easy for them to miss checking out and saving everything necessary. I've talked to our VAR numerous times but have had no real solutions proposed on how to efficiently tackle this problem. Does anyone have a method they use to mitigate these kind of issues?

When we purchased PDM Pro a few years ago, we assumed that it would eliminate this problem but after implementation and using it for awhile we still have the same issues. It seems like this problem would be quite prevalent across the Solidworks/PDM user base, but I haven't seen too much about it so I'm trying to figure out what we're missing that everyone else has figured out!

If it matters, we are currently running Solidworks 2016 SP5 and SW-PDM Pro 2016 SP5 though we will be upgrading to SW and SW-PDM Pro 2018 SP4 in the near future.

Outcomes