5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 12:58 PM by Karsten Farley

Display states as they relate to CG location.

Karsten Farley

As I understand it, the different display states affect the weight and CG of assemblies as follows:

Hiding:

- Remains in BOM

- Maintains mates while hidden

- Can select to include or exclude from assembly weight

- Hiding does not affect CG location

- Cannot be used for mates while hidden

- Faster when configuration switching 

Suppressing:

- Removes from BOM

- Suppresses all mates attached to the part/assembly

- Excluded from assembly weight

- Changes CG location

- Cannot be used for mates while suppressed

- Slow when configuration switching 

Envelope:

-    Not included in CG location

-    Not used for weight

-    Not shown on drawings

-    Not included in BOMs

-    Can be used for mates while in envelope

-    Slow when configuration switching 

Is this correct?

Karsten

• Re: Display states as they relate to CG location.
          Greg Hertvik

I can't answer the slowness bit, but everything looks correct except the envelope not being used in a drawing.  It can if you go to the view properties & click "Show Envelope"

Capture.JPG

Eric Allen

Envelope:

Excluded from interference detection. (I learned this the hard way)

Karsten Farley

So taking all this into consideration, converting a large assembly (>900 parts) into a surface model would cause the weight would go to zero. As far as the CG, it seems like SW2016 will allow you to add the CG as reference geometry but it stays suppressed and cannot be un-suppressed (however, for some reason you are allowed to pick it and use it for measuring which is not logical to me). In any case, the location it comes up with would be invalid due to the model just being zero-thickness surfaces... Am I still on the right track? In other words, if you need to determine the CG for transport (lifting, shipping, loading, etc.) use the fully resolved real model.

Dan Pihlaja

Karsten Farley wrote:

So taking all this into consideration, converting a large assembly (>900 parts) into a surface model would cause the weight would go to zero. As far as the CG, it seems like SW2016 will allow you to add the CG as reference geometry but it stays suppressed and cannot be un-suppressed (however, for some reason you are allowed to pick it and use it for measuring which is not logical to me). In any case, the location it comes up with would be invalid due to the model just being zero-thickness surfaces... Am I still on the right track? In other words, if you need to determine the CG for transport (lifting, shipping, loading, etc.) use the fully resolved real model.

Agreed.....especially if different components are different material, which would potentially affect the CG greatly.

And are you sure that it is suppressed, or just not shown?