4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 10:48 AM by Jason Warnke

Copy External Surface/s in Asm Context into a part & truly break them

Jason Warnke

Is there a way to do this?  <:-D

I want to use a surface in context of my assembly to cut a face on a part; that much I can do if I edit the part in context of the assembly and knit or use 0 offset method to catch the surface (then split using the surface).   I find if I lock it, then break all external references it seems to hold ok if I switch configs back and forth in my main asm (even if I turn off the part that was used to generate the surface).  However, if I edit the part and back up before the surface-cut feature was added in order to change something else in the feature tree (a hole or a boss extrude), I notice the surface knit feature blows up red and then im forced to recut the surface again in context of the assembly part.

Isnt there some way to truly copy knit or offset surfaces into a part file in context of an assembly but fully sever the context so that the surface geometry remains truly independent - as though it were an imported surface body inside of the part itself instead of a context generated surface body???

• Re: Copy External Surface/s in Asm Context into a part & truly break them
          Deepak Gupta

Did you tried using break external references?

Jason Warnke

I break them, and so long as I don't edit a part feature made prior to the knit everything holds fine - but for some reason if I edit a feature made prior to the knit feature it causes the knit feature to error out and I have to go back into my assembly, edit it in context again, reselect the surface of the part I want, go back into the part, select the surface knit,  list external references, lock all, hit ok, reselect external references, check "insert the features of original part(s) if references are broken", and then select 'break all'.

If I do that then everything holds (even if I turn off the part with the contoured surface in my main assembly); so long as I don't edit any feature in the part made prior to the surface knit.  The moment I edit a feature made prior to the surface knit it blows it up for some reason.

I shouldn't have to edit anything else at this point - so for what im doing now it's ok.  If I have to go through that process in the future when using assembly faces to generate cuts in part files, I guess it isn't that bad - it is what it is; I just wondered if there was a way to get broken geometry like this surface body to become geometry that is isolated to the part file (as though it were just an imported surface body).  The only thing I could think to do is save the part with the needed surface as a new part file and rebuild the model with the original surface info loaded into the part at the start (most of the time I will do this for surface cuts; its just now and then when I want to add a surface contour to a part that is already modeled; it is convenient to just use the surface in context of the assembly to quickly get the cut feature into the part). 

Deepak Gupta

Not sure what is your modelling workflow or design intent (without looking at the files) but  why not you move that copied surface to top of tree in part file?

Jason Warnke

I tried but still throws it back into error 

I can't post all files because of company confidentiality on the one I use to cut the surface; but basically this is what I have:

surface cut.JPG

Boss extrude1 creates this block at about 8 X 9", 2.5" thick; the top surface of the block in the assembly then goes thru-past the surface geometry im using to cut (its a little hard to tell from this pic but there is actually a slight irregular curve along the top - it is not quite flat).  the Fillet 1 feature cuts 4 outer corners and the 5/8 hole feature cuts 4 holes on the underside (both irrelevant to the surface-knit/split.

If I go to drag the knit up I can only drag it beneath the Boss-Extrude1 (since its dependent on that).  Even doing that though will produce a message "some of the bodies are no longer in the model" and will then cause it to error:

surface cut error.JPG

Not sure why; but that's what it does *shrugs*.  In any event, it looks like it will all hold just fine so long as I don't go messing with anything else