I am a Mechanical Engineer, and I am about to begin a Master's degree in Motorsport Engineering in the UK.
I am looking for a mobile workstation, and the result of my research is that I should choose between Dell Precision 3530 and Dell Precision 5520.
Dell Precision 3530:
- Intel® Core™ Processor i7-8750H (6 Core, 9M Cache, 2.20GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo, 35W).
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit, English, Dutch, French, German, Italian.
- Nvidia Quadro P600 w/4GB GDDR5.
- 16GB, 1 DIMMS, DDR4-2666MHz SDRAM, Non-ECC
- M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive.
- 15.6" FHD WVA, 1920x1080, Anti-Glare Non-Touch, 72% color gamut, Camera & Mic, WWAN Capable.
Price: 1,608.97 GBP = 2046.72 USD.
Dell Precision 5520:
- Intel Core i7-7700HQ (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 6MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 630, No vPro).
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian.
- NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5.
- 16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM.
- 256GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, MPWS.
- 15.6" UltraSharp FHD IPS(1920x1080)Wide View AntiGlare LED-backlit Premium Panel Guarantee,Non-touch.
Price: 1,556.50 GBP = 1,979.98 USD.
I will use this mobile workstation for race car design, like Formula SAE. I will do CFD simulations, fatigue simulation on suspension links, etc.
Which mobile workstation should I choose? If you have any other recommendation, like another company or mobile workstation, I would be happy to hear about it. ~2,000 USD is probably my limit.
Thank you for your time.