AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trouble adding dimension ("the selected entity could not be converted into a line or a circular arc")

Question asked by Tyler D. on Aug 15, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 by Tyler D.

I'm creating an inspection drawing for an injection molded part.  There are not that many critical dimensions but I want to include the dimension for total length & width, that could be easily measured with calipers, a sort of overall 'envelope' that contains the part.  However, due to the design and the drafts & fillets added to facilitate molding, I have almost no straight edges to reference from.

The edge I'm trying to dimension to started with a drafted face, then a cylindrical cut, then a lofted cut on the top edge to blend in to curvature of a mating part, finally an edge fillet.  Therefore it's some type of weird spline that's left over.

In the SLDDRW, any way I try to select this edge, I get the message "the selected entity could not be converted into a line or a circular arc".  I've tried smart dimension, vertical dimension, holding shift, etc.  If I go to the SLDPRT and use Evaluate > Measure, I can select this edge either holding shift (although Min Distance behaves but Max Distance still shows me the Min Distance), or I can select the midpoint of the spline but this isn't quite what I want since the spline is not symmetrical so the midpoint is not at the highest/lowest vertical positions.

Any suggestions?  The only thing I can think of is to do a section view along the mid-plane, but this adds an extra view for a dimension that I think is more easily conveyed on the front view and adds unnecessary clutter.

I guess the most generic form of this question that isn't specific to the part I'm dealing with now, is there a way to find the point with the min/max Y position and select it, even if I didn't know where it should theoretically be?  (In this example I know it's on the mid-plane, but there could be scenarios where the min Y and max Y are not on the same vertical plane).

Thanks

[EDIT:  while I'm still curious about the generic form of the question I asked at the end of original post, it seems my current problem may be because this is a silhouette edge (which seem to be problematic), so I'll do some more digging for a solution]

Outcomes