7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 12:09 PM by Richard Her

sketch fillets removing dimensions.

Richard Her

I am having issues with sketch fillets removing my dimensions after adding a fillet. It doesn't happen all the time, it seems like a hit or miss.

In the first image, shows the other corners with fillets already applied while keeping its dimension. It also show the corner I want to add in a fillet(highlighted in image) In the second image, it show the corner after adding the fillet, which removes my dimension.

Is this a bug or am I just doing something wrong?

• Re: sketch fillets removing dimensions.
          Krzysztof W.

Hi.

Never happened to me. Check if the "Keep constrained corners" checkbox is marked.

Tony Tieuli

Richard Her wrote:

I am having issues with sketch fillets removing my dimensions after adding a fillet. It doesn't happen all the time, it seems like a hit or miss.

In the first image, shows the other corners with fillets already applied while keeping its dimension. It also show the corner I want to add in a fillet(highlighted in image) In the second image, it show the corner after adding the fillet, which removes my dimension.

Is this a bug or am I just doing something wrong?

Hi Richard,

The best advice I can give in this situation is to not put your fillets in your sketches. Put them in after you've done your extrude / cut.

It makes life a lot easier.

Your dimension is gone because the point you dimensioned to is gone.

Richard Her

"Your dimension is gone because the point you dimensioned to is gone."....How does that work for the other corners that I already added fillets to? As I mention, the first image (capture) shows the other corner with fillets and they are still able to keep their dimensions. And yes, I know that I can add fillets after extruding the part. In this particular part, it wouldn't be "easier" since I would have to include 2 fillets, when I can just add it in the sketch and not worry about it. In any other circumstances, yes of course I would just avoid the issue and just fillet after extruding. But I want to know why this isn't working properly when it did before. Is it my fault or something buggy with SW.

I really do appreciate your input.

J. Mather

I didn't try to reproduce this particular case, but in general,

if you can - dimension between lines rather than between endpoints or between line and endpoint.

Hope that makes sense.

Tony Tieuli

Richard Her wrote:

"Your dimension is gone because the point you dimensioned to is gone."....How does that work for the other corners that I already added fillets to? As I mention, the first image (capture) shows the other corner with fillets and they are still able to keep their dimensions. And yes, I know that I can add fillets after extruding the part. In this particular part, it wouldn't be "easier" since I would have to include 2 fillets, when I can just add it in the sketch and not worry about it. In any other circumstances, yes of course I would just avoid the issue and just fillet after extruding. But I want to know why this isn't working properly when it did before. Is it my fault or something buggy with SW.

I really do appreciate your input.

While playing with this problem I found that if I put in a sketch fillet that breaks a line like this:

I get this result.

But if I trim the line first like this.

I get this result:

Could that be the reason you're losing your dimension?

Richard Her

FYI, the part is 2010 Model mania phase 2.

I didn't run the bottom line all the way across the part, see image. I also didn't get that error message. It just completed the fillet and removed my dimensions. I've tried re-drawing the sketch from a different direction (left to right vs up and down) still the same results.

Capture3.PNG