12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 10:07 PM by F. Leatin

Modify a existing PART template ?

F. Leatin

I finally figured out a fairly simple way to create a PART template. Now I need some instruction on how to modify if without having to create a completely new PART Template ? ?

It this possible ?

Frank

• Re: Modify a existing PART template ?
          Ned Hutchinson

Open  your template ie, PART MM.PRTDOT and edit,save ?

F. Leatin

So if I edit the part file and save it I will not have to edit it again ? It' will be changed for the next part the next time I start a new file ?

Ned Hutchinson

Are you editing .PRTDOT file type, or .sldprt file

If you start new part add planes,axis,cordinates,custom properties, set it to MM, Inchs decimal points what ever you want in your template then save as prtdot to create new template.

Then make sure your template is in a location that - file references, templates is pointing to.

If you need to add more to template edit the prtdot file and save

Then when you start new parts your custom part template should be here

2018-08-15 14_47_03-Window.png

John Gibouleau

Create template

Save as part template
                Overwrite your old template

I don't think you can update existing parts with the new template without diving into macros

Glenn Schroeder

F. Leatin wrote:

I finally figured out a fairly simple way to create a PART template. Now I need some instruction on how to modify if without having to create a completely new PART Template ? ?

It this possible ?

Frank

1. Start a new Part with your existing Part template.
                  2. Make the desired modifications.
                  3. Save as...Part Template.  I assume you want to save the existing template?  If yes, then just give this new one a new name.  Then they'll both be available for use when starting a new Part in the future.
                      F. Leatin

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

1. Start a new Part with your existing Part template.
                      2. Make the desired modifications.
                      3. Save as...Part Template. I assume you want to save the existing template? If yes, then just give this new one a new name. Then they'll both be available for use when starting a new Part in the future.

OK. I just followed Glenns and Tony's instructions.

Neither worked.

So let me start completely over.

I have a PART TEMPLATE. IT IS empty. I just opened it. I have  not added one line or anything.

I wish to make the diminisons numbers bigger. And I want them to STAY the size I wish. If it's 8 point or 28 point.

How do I do this ?

F. Leatin

OK, Perfect. It seems because I was trying to make digit size changes to smart dimensions in the annotations, it was not working.

So Greg steered me to Dimensions which gave me the results I was looking  for. I then resaved the same template under the same name and now it worked.

Templates have been a real headache for me so far.

My fault for trying to make digit type size changes in annotations when I should have been using Dimensions.

My apologizes for wasting everybodys time.

So my next question is: What is or when does a person make changes to Annotations and where do they show up in the template ?

Frank.

Tony Tieuli

F. Leatin wrote:

OK, Perfect. It seems because I was trying to make digit size changes to smart dimensions in the annotations, it was not working.

So Greg steered me to Dimensions which gave me the results I was looking for. I then resaved the same template under the same name and now it worked.

Templates have been a real headache for me so far.

My fault for trying to make digit type size changes in annotations when I should have been using Dimensions.

My apologizes for wasting everybodys time.

So my next question is: What is or when does a person make changes to Annotations and where do they show up in the template ?

Frank.

Just follow the same procedure you followed with the dimension font size only in Annotations which is right above dimensions on the Document Properties option page.

annotations.png

F. Leatin

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Just follow the same procedure you followed with the dimension font size only in Annotations which is right above dimensions on the Document Properties option page.

annotations.pngThats what I tried repeatedly. My software never responded. but then when I made the same changes in "Dimensions" it responded instantly. So I kept coming back to this forum asking "what is the problem". Now I know.  Thanks for your help.