14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2018 3:08 PM by Jim Sculley

New drawing creation fails with Solidworks 2017 SP5

Phil Dolten

Hi!

I am trying to get SW 2017 SP5 up and running. My first problem was the font was too large. It was preventing the dimensions from showing up during a sketch. I also found that it prevented the cut list from showing up on a drawing. I have changed the font everyplace I could in the part, assembly, and drawing template files. I was then able to create parts and assemblies without any trouble. When I try and create a new drawing SW immediately starts to bog down and stop responding. I am forced to kill it with task manager.

I am using a Dell workstation T3620 with a Quadro K620 and up to date Windows 10. I have tried drivers 353.62, 362.13, 375.63, 391.89, and 397.93. I have had mixed failures. Some of the drivers produce a large black trapezoid while bogged down, others just bog down.

I am at the end of my patience. I have an important interview in 35hrs and I would love to refresh my memory on creating drawings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Phil

Fail01.JPG

• Re: New drawing creation fails with Solidworks 2017 SP5
          Glenn Schroeder

Have you tried using software openGL?  (See toward the end of Why am I getting weird graphics issues?.)  That wont' exactly fix the problem, but it might at least make the software workable for you, and if that helps you'll know it's your graphics card.

Phil Dolten

Glenn,

I have toggled the openGL button in performance settings with each driver and it seem to effect the symptoms a bit but ultimately didn't resolve the issue or band-aid it enough for me to keep working. I have gone back to the driver suggested by Solidworks. If its going to fail, at least it will be with the "correct driver" and hopefully not impede other repairs or tweaks.

I am completely baffled why I can create parts and assemblies without any trouble but it flies off the rails when I try and create a drawing.

-Thank you!

Glenn Schroeder

I wonder if you might have a corrupt drawing template?  Do you have an old drawing that opens okay?  If yes, you might try opening it, deleting all drawing views, notes, etc and saving as drawing template.  Then try starting a new drawing with this template.  Or ask if anyone here has a SW2017 or older drawing template they could post.  I'd attach mine, but I'm pretty sure it's been saved with SW2018, so it wouldn't work for you.

Phil Dolten

Glenn,

I just created a drawing with a blank drawing template that I got last night, it should be pristine. It doesn't produce the black trapazoid but it does bog everything down to a stop.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.  Hopefully someone else will be able to help.  There are a lot of smart people here (I wish I was one of them).

Jim Sculley

Phil Dolten wrote:

Glenn,

I just created a drawing with a blank drawing template that I got last night, it should be pristine. It doesn't produce the black trapazoid but it does bog everything down to a stop.

Where did you 'get' this blank drawing template from?  Can you upload your model and drawing here?  This would help eliminate the template and model as the problem.

If you aren't familiar with Crusty Template Syndrome, you may want to read through this post:

Crusty Old Template File Gotcha

There is a reply (Dec 27, 2017 8:34 AM) by Dan Pihlaja that explains step by step how to force SOLIDWORKS to generate new blank templates.

Phil Dolten

Jim,

I got the blank drawing templates from another posting on the SW forums. Same situation where they were trying to determine if the template files were corrupt.

Before I did anything to my templates I saved copies. The first issue I had was not being able to see the dimensions during the new part creation process. I did some research and found that if you change the font to anything other than the initial setting, it will show up allowing me to finish creating a part. I don't know what the cause of this problem is but it seems very strange and makes me think there is a bigger issue. I went thru the template files and changed all of the fonts to Tahoma and saved them into the template folder.

I looked at the Crusty Old Template File Gotcha conversation. I have used the copy settings wizard but that doesn't make a difference or do anything with template files. I tried the suggestion to force SW to create new templates and it might have worked for a new part file but then it gave me an error saying the other templates were missing.

I dont have many existing drawing files to mess with but one I created with student edition 2016 fails just as badly.

I have gotten essentially the same error with all drawing files I have tried to open or create from templates. I think the problem is bigger than that. Is the font being too big an indication of a bigger problem? Is my installation corrupt?

I have attached the last files I used for template files.

Thanks for your help!

Jim Sculley

The templates you uploaded work fine for me, so they are not the problem:

Check your system options to make sure that you haven't previously dismissed an error message:

Can you upload an example part and drawing file that aren't behaving properly?

Phil Dolten

Jim,

I'm not surprised the templates worked for you. I think I have a bigger issue than corrupted templates.

Are you aware of the issue with the default font being too big and needing to be changed? Seems like an indication of a bigger problem.

I have attached a couple files that don't play well together.

Thanks!

Jim Sculley

Phil Dolten wrote:

Jim,

I'm not surprised the templates worked for you. I think I have a bigger issue than corrupted templates.

Are you aware of the issue with the default font being too big and needing to be changed? Seems like an indication of a bigger problem.

I have attached a couple files that don't play well together.

Thanks!

No problem here using those files. I notice in your first screen shot there are some duplicate graphics in the feature tree area.  Dimension Type and Cosmetic Thread Display appear twice.  If you are seeing this sort of corruption regularly, this is most likely graphics card/driver related.  What does SolidWorks Rx say about your system health?  If it is all good, SolidWorks Rx should say something like this:

Phil Dolten

System Status.JPG

Jim,

My status seems to be good. I am currently using the preferred driver, not that it seems to matter.

I am not sure what you are referring to; "I notice in your first screen shot there are some duplicate graphics in the feature tree area.  Dimension Type and Cosmetic Thread Display appear twice. "

My only screen shot is the one I used to show how it was behaving when I tried to create a drawing, a process that never got past that point. There is no feature tree in that image.

Thanks!

Jim Sculley

Phil Dolten wrote:

System Status.JPG

Jim,

My status seems to be good. I am currently using the preferred driver, not that it seems to matter.

I am not sure what you are referring to; "I notice in your first screen shot there are some duplicate graphics in the feature tree area. Dimension Type and Cosmetic Thread Display appear twice. "

My only screen shot is the one I used to show how it was behaving when I tried to create a drawing, a process that never got past that point. There is no feature tree in that image.

Thanks!

I should have said Property Manager, not feature tree.  Here's the graphical issue I was trying to point out:

There is something strange going on there.  Have you changed the display scale settings for Windows itself?  There have been problems reported in the past when the scaling was set to something other than 100%.  I'm using Windows 7 here, so it could be a Windows 10 specific issue.