13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 8:09 AM by Mark Greenwell

Linked Dimensions

Mark Greenwell

Hi,

When I have several sketches  with a linked dimension when I change the1st dimension (from 25 to 40) the other 2 linked dimensions don't update.

I have to click on the linked dimension and click the toggle sign to get the 25 to change to 40.

Is there a setting that I need to change to get this to work?

thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2018 sp4)

• Re: Linked Dimensions
          Steve Calvert

Do a refresh or CTRL Q

Steve C

John Stoltzfus

Mark Greenwell - You need to rebuild - hit ctrl Q

Todd Bush

kind of weird. when you double click you should see the number not the equation. I choose mine the dim box has the link symbol in it. mine update with out choosing rebuild

Mark Greenwell

Hi,

Yes mine used to be like that and CTRL-Q doesn't do anything, apart from closing me out of the sketch.

Attached is the example part, if you open the sketch up and change the 40mm dimension then does the other 2 5nn dimensions change?

The only way I can get them to change is double clicking each dimension and clicking the equation symbol

thanks

Mark

Todd Bush

I cant open it. were still on 17

Tony Tieuli

Mark Greenwell wrote:

Hi,

Yes mine used to be like that and CTRL-Q doesn't do anything, apart from closing me out of the sketch.

Attached is the example part, if you open the sketch up and change the 40mm dimension then does the other 2 5nn dimensions change?

The only way I can get them to change is double clicking each dimension and clicking the equation symbol

thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Your dimensions aren't actually linked. The two to the right are set to equal the dimension on the left but they're not linked. A dimension driven by an equation, as the two on the right are, cannont be linked.

Create a global variable for the dimension on the left. I used "part length".

Now remove the equations from the other two dimensions and right click each. Click Link Value. A "Shared Values" dialog box comes up.

Click on the down arrow in the Name box and select the variable you created.

Now when you change the dimension on the left the other two automatically update.

Actually you can change any of the dimensions and the other two will update.

Edit:

You don't actually have to use Global Variables to control linked dimensions.

Right click on the dimensions and click "Link Value". When the "Shared Values" dialog comes up, instead of clicking on the down arrow next to the Name box, just enter a name. Then when you link the other dimensions use the down arrow and select the name you just created.

Then your sketch dimensions will look like this. Note that there are no global variable symbols.

I realize that this problem has already been solved but I wanted to clarify my answer in case other forum members read this.

Since the title of this thread is "Linked Dimensions" I wanted to be clear that my answer pertains to dimensions that are actually linked, not just controlled by global variables.

Kyle Mitchell

Hi Mark,

Opening you file, i had the same problem and after some investigating I think I've got to the bottom of it...

You have a custom property of 'quantity'. If this is left blank, some of your equations can't solve which seems to mess up your linked dimensions further down (total area & total weight).

Enter your custom quantity and it will work again.

Thanks, Kyle