4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 8:59 PM by Jason Capriotti

Upgrading Enterprise clients

Jason Capriotti
      What's the easiest way to upgrade a larger number of Enterprise PDM clients (200+) automatically when the server is updated to new service packs or new versions?

I thought I remember hearing that in PDM workgroup, updating the server prompts the clients to upgrade and its handled automatically. I was told that's not the case with Enterprise. I thought this was strange considering its the higher end product and its more likely to be deployed in much larger numbers than Workgroup.

So surely there's an easy way to do this.
        • Upgrading Enterprise clients
          Todd Puckett
          In the Installation Guide is a section on Installing SolidwWorks Enterprise PDM Client.

There are two parts.
          The first is creating a PDM client administrative image. I found this simple to do however our 150 installations very so much I need to make at least 6 different MSI files.

The second step is more time consuming depending on how many types of installations your "pushing" out. I found it to have about a 10% failure rate which is why we do it manually. It takes 3 of us about 2 hrs to get it to most users and gives us an excuse to do other updating.

Jason Capriotti
              I'm looking at around 500 people. Nearly half are offsite in various field offices.
                  Todd Puckett
                  How do you handle other application installations? We have many users that are not available when doing upgrades so I put the install files on a shared resource and email instructions. If you have msi files created - it's an easy 4 step process.

I noticed you posted some questions about the web client. That would be a much easier client to maintain as all updates are loaded when logging in.
                      Jason Capriotti
                      IT handles it. Our legacy systems haven't changed since 1995 so....well there ya go. IT just does new installs and handles issues when they arise.

This will be a much bigger deal.....now we have 500 people who all need an update, once a year more than likely.

I like the idea of the web client for that reason but it uses a Contributor license and costs twice as much as the Viewer license. Half of the users only need a lightweight client to search and view PDF drawings. They need no access to models or other information. Where's the Web Client Viewer?