18 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 4:50 PM by Jeff Sweeney

Web viewer

Jason Capriotti
      SolidWorks does not seem to offer a web viewer for accessing documents in the vault. There is the web client but considering the number of peope we have scattered across the US (200+), that option is bit pricey (The viewer is half the cost).

This large group of people only need to view PDFs of our engineering drawings. They need no write access. Is there another solution (3rd party) that allows access over the web to files int eh vault. Can we write our own client perhaps? They only need a simple drawing number search, then launch the pdf.

I know I can push out the viewer client but the web client is much easier from an installation and upgrade standpoint.

Just curious is any other companies run into this situation.
        • Web viewer
          Gene Mercer
          I thought about this for a minute and even started typing one reply, but how many users do you expect to be retrieving files over the net at once? It's been a long time since I asked, but I think the licenses are used as data is being served, not per day, login, or hour or whatever???
          For example: We have maybe 50+ users log in to EPDM every morning (and who knows overseas) via AD but only 29 in use right now. As people use the program they dynamically get logged in and out... we haven't hit a bump yet except when we accidently installed everyone as editors.. LOL
          Our licenses are: 10 editor, 12 Contrib, 25 viewers.

For example of those 200+ people you may only need 30 Viewer seats because that's all that may be hitting it at once? Check back w/SW or your VAR...
          If you DO require 200 seats then let me know, I do have other ideas...

Gene Mercer
          EPDM 09SP2
          SW 09SP2.1
          • Web viewer
            David Diehl
            I agree with Jason... We are migrating from Workgroups PDM to Enterprise PDM. In Workgroups, we have the PDMWeb portal which doesn't require a license, does not require any client install other than the one time eDrawing plug-in that the user installs, and allows people such as management or marketing that would like to have a simple to use, shaded view of the model or assembly that they can rotate, etc... In Workgroup Web, they can also search the vault, look at the history, look at the custom properties... I think it is very nice.

I can do this with Workgroups PDM Web, I don't see this in Enterprise PDM Web which was disappointing. As present, I don't see us making much use of the Enterprise PDM Web given the lack of an embedded viewer and that it also requires a license.

(I should say the Workgroup Web server was an additional license purchase, but there are no client licenses required to access the Workgroup Web).

Dave
            • Web viewer
              Alessandro Frattini

Jason Capriotti wrote:

SolidWorks does not seem to offer a web viewer for accessing documents in the vault. There is the web client but considering the number of peope we have scattered across the US (200+), that option is bit pricey (The viewer is half the cost).

This large group of people only need to view PDFs of our engineering drawings. They need no write access. Is there another solution (3rd party) that allows access over the web to files int eh vault. Can we write our own client perhaps? They only need a simple drawing number search, then launch the pdf.

I know I can push out the viewer client but the web client is much easier from an installation and upgrade standpoint.

Just curious is any other companies run into this situation.

Why don't you consider DBWorks ?
              www.mechworks.com

• Web viewer
                David Genske
                Jeff or Jason, I'm currently faced with the exact same situation. I'd prefer not to take files out of the vault (as a reference copy) and web contributor licenses are cost prohibitive. Read-only client isn't very attractive either. We're a current PDM/Ent. user and if you have any suggestions I would very much like to hear how you've approached the problem. It's interesting to hear that Workgroup had a solution for this.

A web-based client with assignable permissions to access data in the vault directly would be ideal.
                • Re: Web viewer
                  Raymond Pearson

Is this still an issue? Does 2010 Web Contributor have an empedded viewer?