15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 8:23 AM by John Stoltzfus

rip feature problem

David Nabulsi

hi there,

sometimes when I make a shell out of a solid body and then I want to use rip feature to cut the edges I get this message: "geometry of the rip feature is too complex"....what is the reason and how can I get rid of this message and cut as many edges as I want with rip feature?

regards.

• Re: rip feature problem
          Kevin Pymm

Post your part or at least some screen shots & someone will be able to help you better.

David Nabulsi

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. take a look at the part attached. I call the face with rectangular hole the "front face". I ripped the side edges and 3 edges of the back face. now, when I want to rip the fourth edge of the back face, I get the message "geometry of the region to rip is too complex" 

Kevin Pymm

David,

There is no file attached.

David Nabulsi

sorry Kevin,

I attached the file again. its SW2018 file.

regards.

Kevin Pymm

David,

Are you trying to create a sheet metal part?

If so then after the shell, convert to sheet metal & select your fixed face & bend edges & the rips will be done automatically.

David Nabulsi

Thanks Kevin,

What is the use of rip then?

David Nabulsi

The point is that if you want to make the whole sheet metal box as a one flat sheet, the method you suggested is the best method, but most of the time, there are some restrictions like limitation in folding tools like press brake and it prevents you making the box as a one flat sheet, so you have to split the parts in some different parts and then weld them together. for example you can split the above box into 3 separate parts, one part can be just the roof, the second part is the floor and the last part is boy including sides and back...and that is where rip command comes in handy. but rip feature has the aforementioned limitation that I want to get rid of.

regards.

John Stoltzfus

If you use the "Rip" feature you still need to have one edge connected.  If you want them all in seperate pcs then the "Rip" feature is the wrong Tool Choice...

David Nabulsi

hi john,

thanks for the reply. what is the right tool then?

John Stoltzfus

First my question would be... The part that you uploaded, do you want this in one pc as shown by Kevin Pymm or do you want (6) six individual pcs? or do you want 4 pcs or 5 pcs???

David Nabulsi

3 pieces john. first piece would be the roof with the fold down. second piece would be the floor with the fold up. third piece would be the rest.

John Stoltzfus

David Nabulsi

Then design the parts that way and not one pc construction, make three parts or make three bodies that will be save out as three parts.  The rip tool is not designed for how you think it should work..

Dennis Bacon

Here is something you can look at that might give you some ideas David.. I suppressed your shell and rip then moved all the outside faces in by "something".. Then did a surface offset (0mm) of the the selection of faces that I wanted to include into one piece. Did that again for another selection of faces for another piece. You could do as many as you like.. I did not know what your consider the roof or base??  However surface offset commands you have will determine how many sheet metal bodies when done. Then select each Surface Offset and convert to sheet metal. All this is probably much easier that it may seem.

Then just for the heck of it I linked the Move Face distance to the thickness. Now,, no matter what you make the thickness the original O.D. dims will be what you originally made your solid. I made this ridiculously thick to illustrate.

Edit:.. Wanted to mention that I moved the faces to the inside so when I converted to sm I could have the material go to the outside. If I would have gone to the inside with the convert the parts would have collided.

David Nabulsi

Dear Dennis,

What I mean is something like the file and picture I attached. I normally do make this by a combination of rip feature and cut extrude to separate the three pieces and then convert them to sheet metal...but I need a faster method.

John Stoltzfus

David Nabulsi -  You mentioned "Faster Method" in which area??

1.  Repeatability (just different sizes)

2.  Modeling

3.  Assembly

4.  Documentation (individual custom properties)

5. Seperate Part Drawings

Attached is how I would do the entire assembly, this allows for a quick change if needed and the assembly is complete and you'll be able to have seperate parts to document individual custom properties and sizes, plus have seperate part drawings.

What I did is took your model and used that as a Master Model/SSP and each part was built from there.  I inserted three part files into the assembly file and edited each one by adding a .000" Surface Offset Feature and used the Surface Thicken Feature and then added the Sheet Metal Bends.  Doing it this way will allow you to create individual custom properties, Name, Description, Sizes, Sheet Metal Thickness and other properties to each part. Plus you have the Assembly ready for it's own custom properties and it's easy to show the exploded views.

So if you need to change any of the sizes, all you need to do is edit the Master Part/SSP and all the components will move parametrically and everything will update according, one thing to mention is when you edit any of the parts, right click the part in the feature tree and select "Isolate", this will keep you from selecting anything from any of the other components.  For me this is the fastest way to design any product if there are possible changes, plus you can Pack & Go and have a new assembly in minutes.