5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2018 5:08 PM by Kim Panattoni

Creating Sweep Cuts in Half to Mirror on a Complex Surface

Kim Panattoni

Hello again friends,

I have found a way to model into a corner again. Please see the attached files for examples. There is a project you are all familiar with my posting on in this forum before, and I have worked with friends who have let me model myself into a corner again. If you look at the attached .png file, you will see the general idea of what the outline of the cuts are, but the model file shows what the cuts themselves are. There are sweep cuts on the one side of the model that cut into squares and rectangles on a swept model that cannot go deep into a 1/8" revolved part. The idea here was to model half of the features on one side of the model and then mirror them onto the other side, as I have done with some of the features... and then I ran into a snag with some of the swept cuts, because they cannot go into some of the rectangles. How would you do this? I need to maintain the consistency, shape, and... "roundness" of the cuts to match the others in the bottom of the part, so everything must be identical. Ideas?

Thanks!

-Kim

• Re: Creating Sweep Cuts in Half to Mirror on a Complex Surface
          Søren Stærk

I am not sure i understand.

If it is this you are looking for, add direction 2 to the last two revovled cuts

Kim Panattoni

For whatever reason, I am having issues getting it to not cut through the features when I tried to do that in the past. It would cut through those trapezoidal areas. same goes for the other areas on the model where those revolved cuts need to continue as well. Perhaps I just missed out on something simple. That has been known to happen before.

Kim Panattoni

Thank you that part of the solution, though there is a lot more to solve. Here is an image of the actual model I am replicating. It should show you where I have features to fix, and why I have some complications that I am encountering. Refit_Pictures_Polar_Lights_GT_051.JPG

This is being done at scale, believe it or not. In any case, I have modelled myself into a corner, and have built one side of the features, and hoped to mirror one side of the saucer features onto the other side. I have done this with some of them as you have seen, and as you have done in your example, I could also continue with directions like Direction2 if needed. In some cases, this may not work, such as with the double rectangle landing pad feature off of the 45 degree feature.

I hope this helps some!

-Kim

Søren Stærk

Hi

This could also be an approach.

Sketch all the lines on an overlaying plane, and do a split curve on the model.

I would chose this approach, because of the feature simplicity - i know the sketch will be complex, but it will grant "more freedom" in designing

EDIT: This can splint the underneath part as well, so go multibody on upper and lower half maybe.

Kim Panattoni

I am not familiar with using split line, actually. Just from looking at your screen capture, I am not well versed in this enough to see how it applies to the part I supplied, though. I would need to see it applied to a part and then dissect the part file to see it working in order to understand it.

While this may also one way to do it, is there a way to do this while keeping the existing hierarchy? There are going to be a lot of minute adjustments made to the measurements of the widths of the "hatches and doors" over the history of this model as more information comes in; at least as I understand it.

This part is going to get far more complex as there will be holes and sweep cuts made to the sides of the model as well, all sorts of weird things done to it, so the refine-ability of the history tree is very important.

In the meantime, could you attach a part file to show me what this process looks like?

Thanks!

-Kim