AnsweredAssumed Answered

Optimizing low end laptops to run SW2009

Question asked by 1-7UEHFD on Mar 1, 2009
Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 by 1-7UEHFD
I am currently running SW2008 sp5 Edu on lower end Acer and HP laptops. I will be receiving SW2009 Edu soon, and after reading about the issues with SW2009, I am interested in looking for ways to optimize my laptops to run SW2009. Replacing the laptops is not an option. I am not a pwer user, so the lower speed and graphics make no difference to me, and what I will be doing with SW.

I currently have an Acer 5720Z (upgraded from Vista to XP Pro sv3) with an Intel Pentium 1.73GHz dual core with 2GB RAM and an embedded Intel GM 965 Express Family Chipset with 358MB video memory graphics system.

The second Laptop is an HP Persario V6000 (XP Media center) with an Intel Celeron M 1.73GHz with 2GB RAM and an embedded Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Chipset with 128MB video memory graphics system.

What would the best SW and System Settings be to reasonably run SW on those machines? I am creating models/assemblies at the High School level so they are basic models without complex surfacing or a large number of features. Assemblies are usually limited to less than 25 basic components. I also have very little need for realview graphics.

So far I have not had many problems with SW 2008 on my laptops. In fact SW seems to run smoother (albeit slower) on the older HP than the newer Acer.
The Acer runs SW faster, but seems to hiccup and hang more often.

Your suggestions are very welcome.

Outcomes