8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 10:03 PM by Dennis Bacon

Having trouble DXFing a STEP model

M. D.

When I save this as a DXF this it just gives me a blank DXF.  Any reason why this would be, too complex geometry?  Not able to DXF STP files?

• Re: Having trouble DXFing a STEP model
          Dennis Bacon

Not sure what the problem may be Marcus. You are talking about 2d views?? You are not using a 3d-Interconnect right? Got this (didn't put all the views in model space) quite easily and quickly. Your "blank" does not have any entities? Just wanted to let you know that it does look possible.

M. D.

Ah so you made a drawing then saved as a DXF.  I am in the habit of saving as a DXF straight from the model which doesn't seem to work in this case.

Dennis Bacon

No,,, Didn't make a drawing. Saved it right out of my part file (another edit.. did not save the step to a part, Just opened it) to dxf. I'm curious.. When you import your step does it come in as an assembly or a part?  If you have this unchecked it should be a part.

Edit:.. Another thing that could be happening and I have found that for some reason some entities did not show up in my dxfs if I used my default drawing template. That is even though I was saving out of the part file. I guess it gets information from the drawing template. So I changed my "default" drawing template to something simple.. All of a sudden the export to dxf (from part file) worked great..

Never would have thunk it.

Paul Salvador

Hey Dennis,.. I think what is happening is, this model has >1000 surfaces and only about 15 solids...so, your template includes "Model Items" to show "surfaces"... which then allows for the DXF/DWG to include/show?  (image attached)

modelitemssurface.png

Dennis Bacon

I was hoping that you might get involved and be able to shed some light on this.... It does seem that could be the issue but,,, this is that part put in a drawing using the same template that I now use for my "default template".. My model has no solids and 406 surfaces. Maybe that was a merge entities thing??? (my settings).Nothing selected other than "marked for drawing".

You do realize that I did not go the drawing route with dxf..

Paul Salvador

Dennis,.. yes, understand you and Marcus are saving the sldprt as a DXF/DWG  (not a drawing,.. needed to show something which captures Model Items, as you also show)

...hmm,.. you have surfaces (reference geometry).. and they show up?... so, then.. your templates are pre-set for this?

...or, I did this in 2014..  and yours is in 2018.. so.. is/was this a new option? 

Maybe someone else has some info as to why this is ..?  (And how can this be? (Dune)..

Dennis Bacon

Maybe a tangent edge thing?? For surfaces?? Are you saying that with 2014 (I used 2018 for this) if you don't have surfaces shown then nothing shows up?.. I can test that but am kinda lazy this evening.

The issue that I was having before I changed my template is bend lines (SM) were not showing in my dxfs.. So I bypassed my system and doc settings and then the showed up. I started going thru all my system and doc settings. Came to the conclusion it was something to do with my default settings.

Yes, would be nice to get to crux of the problem.. Are you saying you are "dune"