10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2018 5:00 PM by John Sweeney

Save As Crashes SW 2018 SP3 Every Time

Iain Carr

Hi All

I am having an odd issue we just upgraded from 2012 to 2018. Now every time I try to save as a part and change its name, when its referenced anywhere else, solid-works crashes. This is a big problem for me as a lot of my job is renaming standard parts and having to close everything to use the rename tool in Windows is a serious hassle as some of our assemblies are very large several thousand components large.  This was not a problem in 2012! Oh it doesn't crash if I save as copy then replace the part in the assembly, which is my current workaround, but for multi referenced components this is a big pain.

For me this progress has involved a step backward.

I am using  SW 2018 SP3, all my colleagues are also on this and seem  to have no issues. I have uninstalled, reinstalled. Tried a repair nothing has worked so far. All suggestions welcome at this point. 

• Re: Save As Crashes SW 2018 SP3 Every Time
          Deepak Gupta

I'm not sure why it would crash but would advise you to use Rx tool and create the diagnostic report. Then send that to your VAR for investigation.

And you can rename the component from the assembly itself without the need to do a save as. This would update the references as well. the only drawback is that it renames the original copy, so make sure you keep a copy of original file before renaming.

Tom Gagnon

I'm just guessing at solutions here, and Deepak's VAR suggestion will get you real resolution.

A lot can change in 6 years, not only in the software, but also in User Settings. Are your System Options the same as the other users with no issue? Do you or others have periodic Settings Wizard backups to try reverting to? Particularly the large variety of File Locations can cause unexpected issues, that I've seen.

One thing I hear about tripping users up in an upgrade is if the template files are not updated, and also in use equally across all users. I don't know just how that would affect your error, but it may be worth trying if waiting idle for VAR response.

John Sweeney

Hi Iain,

If you don't mind a few questions... Can you successfully save the model  in SW2018 before you perform the Save As?  If you save it first... does it still crash during Save As?  Also, are you using PDM?

I'd like to get the crash data from your machine if you don't mind sending that info.  If you take a look into the following folder you should see a bunch of .zip files containing session data for all your sessions:

C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\SolidWorks\CXPA

Inside the zip files are a SolidWorksPerformance.log file, and if you crashed there will also be a minidump file containing the callstack info which is the sequence of calls made in the software just before the crash occured.  Can you send me the .zip file that aligns with one of your SaveAs crash sessions?

Thanks,

John

Iain Carr

Hi John

Yeah I have been working on this model intensively for a month in 2018 so all parts  ave been saved in 2018 yet this problem persists when I attempt a save as. We do not run a PDM solution at this time. Also trying the rename from within the assembly also causes the crash.

Save as crash

<link removed>

Rename from feature Tree Crash

<link removed>

Thanks for your help on this matter

Iain

Deepak Gupta

Please remove your serial number form those log files and make sure you never share log files publicly without those removed.

No need to remove them when sending the log files to VAR or SOLIDWORKS.

John Sweeney

Hi Iain,

A few more questions for you:

1. You mentioned your co-workers don't see a SaveAs crash.  Have they loaded the same model you've had problems saving/renaming... If they load this same assembly and perform the same SaveAs or Rename operation they do not see the crash?

2. Do you see this problem with all assemblies, some models, or just this assembly?

3. You mentioned renaming "standard parts".  Are these Toolbox components or perhaps company standard components saved to a server on your network?

4. We've been discussing internally if a component open in memory might be a problem.  Could you close SolidWorks, restart it, open the assembly, and immediately perform the operation you're having trouble with?  Does it still crash?

Thanks for your help in debugging,

John

Igor Fomenko

I have the same problem and I use Solidworks explorer for this.