14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 10:41 AM by Matt Lombard

selection sets

Mike Russell

Hello all,

I would like to show a selection set and be able to rotate the model or assembly and have it stay visible.

Is there a way to make selection sets visible, where it stays on until you turn it off?

• Re: selection sets
          Jeremy Feist

I don't use selection sets much, so I just tried this and the selection set stays highlighted for me through panning, rotating, and zooming with the mouse. using SW 2018 SP3.0

Mike Russell

Hi Jeremy,

Were on 2018 SP 1.0

When i click the selection set it highlights the features. and yes after clicking the selection set they stay highlighted for pan, rotate and zoom (middle mouse button)  but the moment I click anywhere on the screen it turns off the highlights on the features.

I was looking for something I could use as a highlight toggle, instead of changing the color of faces.

Thanks for checking!

Todd Blacksher

Wow, talk about a disappointing discovery!

My first thought was "just click on 'select previous' and you'll be fine!"

Then I tried it, and found that it is not available for selection sets.

I guess your best bet is to just grab the selection set from the FM tree.

todd

Sounds like an enhancement request to me!

Josh Brady

So.... I'm not sure what this enhancement would be...

A Selection Set is just that... You click the set, it gets selected.  It behaves just like selecting any other bunch of things.  Click away from it, and that bunch of things gets un-selected.

It sounds like what's desired is more like a sort of temporary highlighting condition display state.  Basically you're looking for something like Isolate, except that it just highlights things instead of making everything else disappear, and it works on faces, or features, or whatever instead of just working on assembly components.  You can then work on stuff in this highlighted state, then you'd click "Exit Isolate" or whatever and go back to a normal display state.  Does that sound like what you're after?

Todd Blacksher

Josh Brady wrote:

So.... I'm not sure what this enhancement would be...

A Selection Set is just that... You click the set, it gets selected. It behaves just like selecting any other bunch of things. Click away from it, and that bunch of things gets un-selected.

The only real "enhancement" here would be the ability to stay in the graphics space and right click to grab your selection set again. (Instead of heading over to the FM tree to re-select it.)

I just thought that it was unusual that a regular tool becomes unavailable if the previous selection happens to be a selection set.

Josh Brady

Gotcha...

I can't find "Select Previous" anywhere... 2018 SP3...

Todd Blacksher

Josh Brady wrote:

Gotcha...

I can't find "Select Previous" anywhere... 2018 SP3...

Just select a few parts from the FM tree, click in the graphics area to "deselect" the items, then right click, and it should look like the first picture in my earlier post.

I think I use "Invert Selection" more, but this is still a handy one (when I can remember it!)

EDIT: Just found something REALLY interesting . . . If you use the click/shift-click method to select a number of items from the FM tree, it will only "remember" the initial click selection when you use the "Select Previous" tool.

Example: If you have parts 1,2,3,4,5 in an assembly, you click on item 1, hold shift, click on item 5, all items will be selected. Click in the graphics area to "clear" your selections. Right click "Select Previous". Only Item 1 highlights.

If you Ctrl+Click all 5 items, they will all be selected when you use "Select Previous"

weird

Josh Brady

This is terrible UI design...

I don't use the Context Toolbars because I was too used to where things were in the right-click menu for years.  As far as I can tell, Previous Selection is ONLY available in the Context Toolbar.  You can't find it in the Command Search box up in the upper right, you can't find it in the Keyboard Shortcut list to map it to a keystroke, and it doesn't show up in the regular right-click menu.

Dan Pihlaja

Interesting:

I searched for "Previous" in the command search and found this:

Hitting the eye, results in:

Previous selection....there it is:

I suspect that it is only there because it has a dependency.   If you have opened a part and haven't made any selections, then it isn't there.   It appears ONLY after you have made a selection.  That might be the reason it isn't anywhere else.  I can't find it either.

Bret Hekking

Hi Dan -

That was my suspicion as well, but I think it should be available for customization and discoverable in general. For example, I can imagine this being a handy Mouse Gesture or custom key...but it's not listed as an option in either of those contexts.

As far as I know (being relatively new to SW), we don't have special rules that make some commands un-customizable or this difficult to find.

Bret Hekking

Hi -

FYI, I just created SPR's for these issues:

• 1099150: 'Previous Selection' doesn't work correctly with Shift-selected items
                                          • 1099152: 'Previous Selection' not in command search, Customize dialog, or any of the standard command locations

Thanks for pointing these out!

Bret Hekking

SOLIDWORKS UX

Matt Lombard

Selection Sets is something I requested as an enhancement years ago when I'd try to create something, and the feature would fail, so I'd have to change something, reselect a bunch of stuff and try again.

I could see this improving in several ways. First, treat the Selection Sets item in the FeatureManager like any other item. Allow the Selection Sets folder itself to be treated like a selection, and use the Display Pane (F8) to control the color/visibility of that selection. For example, you now can change the solid bodies folder to all wireframe. You should be able to do the same for all selection sets, or for a single selection set. This should apply in assemblies as well as in parts.

Josh Brady

Allow the Selection Sets folder itself to be treated like a selection, and use the Display Pane (F8) to control the color/visibility of that selection. For example, you now can change the solid bodies folder to all wireframe. You should be able to do the same for all selection sets, or for a single selection set.

Just curious... Folders are (AFAIK) exclusive.  An item can't belong to multiple folders.  Selection Sets are non-exclusive - Meaning that any entity may belong to as many selection sets as you want.  How would the appearance control work in that instance?

Additionally, (this came up the other day) the interface for controlling what is in a selection set could really use some work.  Selection sets should be editable.  As in, just like a feature.  Right-click and choose "Edit" and you get a Property Manager page with selection boxes for faces, edges, etc.  Right now deleting something from a set is somewhat intuitive, but adding is not.  Additionally, it's not described in the help.  I submitted an ER a few days ago for this (No SPR yet)

Matt Lombard

Just curious... Folders are (AFAIK) exclusive. An item can't belong to multiple folders. Selection Sets are non-exclusive - Meaning that any entity may belong to as many selection sets as you want. How would the appearance control work in that instance?

Overrides and "last one applied", same as other stuff.

Additionally, (this came up the other day) the interface for controlling what is in a selection set could really use some work. Selection sets should be editable. As in, just like a feature. Right-click and choose "Edit" and you get a Property Manager page with selection boxes for faces, edges, etc. Right now deleting something from a set is somewhat intuitive, but adding is not. Additionally, it's not described in the help. I submitted an ER a few days ago for this (No SPR yet)

Yeah, I like that.