AnsweredAssumed Answered

Thicken Surface Failed (After Succeeding Before)

Question asked by Julie Kraus on Aug 2, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 by Julie Kraus

So I am trying to make a wave spring for 3D print.  In order to do this I created a equation driven curve and swept a surface around it.  My issue is that the surface will sometimes thicken (See attached wave spring 4) and then when editing a unrelated body further down the feature tree it will break (moving an unrelated plane ect.). I am trying to find a more stable way to do this so I am working on the base surface (wave spring 7), however when I try to thicken it any amount (.001 and up) in any direction I get "Surface failed to thicken" or "face which failed check errors".

Also, when I do manage to thicken midplane there is some interference (which I want, as I want the overlap) SolidWorks cannot deal with this and refuses to merge it with other extrudes giving the "No body left after combine" when I try to do an "Add" type combine.  I was trying to combat this by creating 2 surfaces, and thickening one in each direction, then merging those, but now thicken is failing entirely so I don't know if it will work.

Finally if anyone can find a way to fix the equation driven curve such that the curve starts at a Y value of 0, and the helix is centered about the Y axis, that would be awesome. I just typed in the equation and am careful not to drag it, as every time I try to define it with relations it yells about being over defined.

I am using SolidWorks 2016. 

Outcomes