4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 3:04 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Two view styles, apparently in one view (but not)

Tom Gagnon

I do not know of a way, other than by controlling hidden lines per component, to achieve two display styles within one view.

However, I created a Hidden Lines Visible view of the assembly, with a Shaded with Edges view of the component, in same view orientation (Isometric) and aligned first horizontal by origin, then aligned vertical by origin, then both views locked in position. Repositioning does take some fuss, as only Horizontal by Origin OR Vertical by Origin alignment will be preserved, as one apparently overwrites the other, and there is no option for aligning origin coincident to origin.

I'm having slight difficulty determining how to "bring to front" one view, or "Bring to Rear" the other view so that hidden lines appear on top of the shaded body view. I believe, so far, that on top is determined by what was created last.

Result shows contextual "View" that highlights which portion of the assembly is being detailed on the page.

Very simplified, undeveloped outsourced component shown as example where 3 duct pieces are needed by others. Contextual view is on far right, if this post viewed truncates the image.

ContextualViewsCapture.JPG

• Re: Two view styles, apparently in one view (but not)
          Glenn Schroeder

Tom,

You should be able to create a Display State in your Assembly, with some components set to a line display and the others to shaded, and then reference that display state with the drawing view, with the drawing view set to "Shaded with Edges".

Tom Gagnon

Thank you, Glenn. I neglect Display States, so hadn't considered that. I pushed it through the 'wrong' way, all the same.

Tom Gagnon

Glenn, if I understand this correctly, I'd have to make one Display State per view that I wanted to show that way, with one per component highlighted. Is that correct?

In this very simplified case, I only have three formerly virtual components, but in other cases with many more similar components, it seems easier to create multiple views of different styles than to manage many Display Styles. That way, I can perpetuate subsequent sheets by Replace Model, and realignment. That is, I can see strengths and weaknesses of each method, not that one is wrong and other is right. It seems like two ways to accomplish similar results to me.

Glenn Schroeder

Tom,

You should definitely employ whatever workflow works best for you, but I still think display states would be better for what you're trying to do.  They aren't difficult to manage, especially if you make sure "Hide new components when inactive" isn't selected in the display state's property manager.  As far as setting them up, it's easy enough to go to the Configurations tab, create a new display state, Ctrl+select multiple components from the graphics area, right-click, go to the "Component Display" fly-out in the right-click menu, and make the appropriate selection.  If you need more than one then return to the original display state, create another new one, and repeat as needed.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if you're copying and pasting sheets it will be easier to select a drawing view and go to its property manager, where you can have it reference a different display state with a single click, than it would be to use the "Replace Model" command.  Plus, with this method you wouldn't have to go through all the fuss of trying to align overlapping views.