23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 10:00 PM by Richard Gergely

Subassembly & mates

Richard Gergely

Just more of a check than anything.

Is there a way in a subassemblies to mate individual parts to different parts in the main assembly.

How I understand it you mate the entire sub assembly to main assembly.

What this is really about is more tidying up a assembly by have certain parts in a 'folder' like water fitting just in a water fittings subassembly instead of having a huge long assembly with everything in. But of cause this brings the problem of not being able to mate single items in the main assembly - unless I have missed something and there is a way to do this.

• Re: Subassembly & mates
          Glenn Schroeder

You might try setting the sub-assembly to "Flexible" (see I inserted my movable Assembly into another Assembly and now it won’t move.  What happened? if you aren't familiar with that).  I don't have time to test it right now, but it's worth a shot.

Alin Vargatu

Richard Gergely wrote:

Just more of a check than anything.

Is there a way in a subassemblies to mate individual parts to different parts in the main assembly.

How I understand it you mate the entire sub assembly to main assembly.

What this is really about is more tidying up a assembly by have certain parts in a 'folder' like water fitting just in a water fittings subassembly instead of having a huge long assembly with everything in. But of cause this brings the problem of not being able to mate single items in the main assembly - unless I have missed something and there is a way to do this.

Have you consider using the Smart Component functionality to automatically insert and mate all components in the desired locations?

Richard Gergely

Alin Vargatu no not really looked into that. I am away next week and up to my neck try to sort things before I go away so this will have to wait for when I return to properly look.

The main objective isn't making mates easier it is cleaning up the left hand assembly tree into logical blocks for easy access in collapsible folders/subassemblies.

For an injection mould tool for instance.

I would have the main assembly then two subassemblies for the moving and fixed half of the tool (core/cavity) = that works fine as is.

Beyond this I would like in say the moving half subassembly further folders/subassemblies with

1.main plates

2.inserts

3.ancilories

4.cooling items

5.ejection

6.fixing items

This would make it so easy just to hide say cooling items for instance and even better for who is manufacturing the tool to handle all the parts in the assembly instead of being faced with one huge assembly of 1000 parts.

Now there are literally 1000's of different parts that I might import from say the meusburger catalogue so making a library of each part and how it mates isn't a option.

Secondly for instance any one of the cooling items may be located in a different way to items in the main plates. A inline water plug may need to go at the end of a hole or half way down or anything in-between for instance. So try to come up with a standard mate isn't going to work - though again that is not what I'm trying to achieve it's all about cleaning up the left hand history tree into easy to see and easy to manage blocks while still having the ability to mate in various ways to other objects singularly not as a whole block of parts.

Josh Brady

I would highly recommend against using flexible subassemblies just to organize the feature tree for components that aren't actually assembled together.  Your performance will almost certainly suffer terribly.

If all you want is folders to organize components, why not just make folders and put the components in 'em?

Alin Vargatu

1-QMT6E4 wrote:

Alin Vargatu no not really looked into that. I am away next week and up to my neck try to sort things before I go away so this will have to wait for when I return to properly look.

The main objective isn't making mates easier it is cleaning up the left hand assembly tree into logical blocks for easy access in collapsible folders/subassemblies.

For an injection mould tool for instance.

I would have the main assembly then two subassemblies for the moving and fixed half of the tool (core/cavity) = that works fine as is.

Beyond this I would like in say the moving half subassembly further folders/subassemblies with

1.main plates

2.inserts

3.ancilories

4.cooling items

5.ejection

6.fixing items

This would make it so easy just to hide say cooling items for instance and even better for who is manufacturing the tool to handle all the parts in the assembly instead of being faced with one huge assembly of 1000 parts.

Now there are literally 1000's of different parts that I might import from say the meusburger catalogue so making a library of each part and how it mates isn't a option.

Secondly for instance any one of the cooling items may be located in a different way to items in the main plates. A inline water plug may need to go at the end of a hole or half way down or anything in-between for instance. So try to come up with a standard mate isn't going to work - though again that is not what I'm trying to achieve it's all about cleaning up the left hand history tree into easy to see and easy to manage blocks while still having the ability to mate in various ways to other objects singularly not as a whole block of parts.

Then use Selection Sets for grouping components from various sub-assemblies together for hiding and showing purposes.

BTW, I was probably not clear. I was not talking about smart mates, but smart components. A smart component is a completely different animal.

Josh Brady

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Then use Selection Sets for grouping components from various sub-assemblies together for hiding and showing purposes.

The fact that you cannot add items to a selection set makes them... well... pretty much useless.

Alin Vargatu

Josh Brady wrote:

Alin Vargatu wrote:

The fact that you cannot add items to a selection set makes them... well... pretty much useless.

Of course you can add items to selection sets. Just use Update Selection Set.

Josh Brady

Using 2018 sp3.... I don't see Update Selection Set.  I can remove items or make new sets, but can't see where you add items.

Alin Vargatu

Josh Brady wrote:

Using 2018 sp3.... I don't see Update Selection Set. I can remove items or make new sets, but can't see where you add items.

1. Click on the Selection Set

2. CTRL+Click on another entity

3. RMB and select Update Selection Set

Richard Gergely

Alin but that is really cumbersome and only does one trick. It doesn't really work on showing a few parts it's just a all or nothing, it doesn't export and it doesn't tidy up the LH assembly tree into nice clear sub sections that can be collapsed to reduce the junk visually (the way you press the arrow on the left on a assembly to show and not show the parts in it's contents).

Alin Vargatu

Richard Gergely wrote:

Alin but that is really cumbersome and only does one trick. It doesn't really work on showing a few parts it's just a all or nothing.              

What do you mean? You can isolate just the components in the selection set. Then you can create a display state or Snapshot if wanted, or just isolate and exit isolate.

Richard Gergely

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Richard Gergely wrote:

Alin but that is really cumbersome and only does one trick. It doesn't really work on showing a few parts it's just a all or nothing.

What do you mean? You can isolate just the components in the selection set. Then you can create a display state or Snapshot if wanted, or just isolate and exit isolate.

What I mean by that is that for it to work you are creating endless display states, snap shots. So I add another part new display state, then I add another part, another display state. Then OK say we do work with this method it still doesn't achieve sorting out the other problems. So  I see it as a workaround addressing just one of the problems.

Alin Vargatu

Just curious. Why do you need a new display state per part?

Richard Gergely

Hi Alin. Actually that will just fall into the normal isolate/hide/show criterial I can see what you are saying.

But I'm thinking as the assembly grows I will have to keep updating the display states of which parts are in which display state while still using the normal hide/show and isolate.

Just seems over complicating the issue and still not solving a lot of what would make things easier for me and easier for clients..

It's bit like why on earth does solidworks have the crazy way of round the houses to unstitch a surface. Yes it can be done by what can only be described as nonsense while in the real world you can unstitch a surface in most half decent 3D CAD systems since the 90's with one simple select and click.

Josh Brady

OK... finally got there.  For me it only shows up if you Ctrl-RMB on the new thing, or Ctrl-Click, then move to a blank area and RMB.  If I Ctrl-Click to select, then I RMB while the mouse is still over the new selection, Update doesn't appear.  I was also unable to find anything about updating in the Help file.  It only described removing items and deleting sets.

It seems like the selection sets could be vastly improved by giving them a full "Edit feature" with a PMP where you can select faces, edges, features, etc. in selection boxes.

Alin Vargatu

Josh Brady wrote:

OK... finally got there. For me it only shows up if you Ctrl-RMB on the new thing, or Ctrl-Click, then move to a blank area and RMB. If I Ctrl-Click to select, then I RMB while the mouse is still over the new selection, Update doesn't appear. I was also unable to find anything about updating in the Help file. It only described removing items and deleting sets.

It seems like the selection sets could be vastly improved by giving them a full "Edit feature" with a PMP where you can select faces, edges, features, etc. in selection boxes.

I agree! Good ERs.

Doug Seibel

Question for you Richard Gergely,

Why not just tidy it up by putting them in a folder?  I do it all the time.  You can even have folders within folders.  It is also very handy when you get an assembly from another CAD software (as an iges, step, parasolid, etc.) and it opens as an assembly with thousands of parts...no subassemblies.  I just use isolate to start creating & saving useful display states, and grouping things into folders...

Use assemblies/sub-assemblies for assemblies & sub-assemblies.  If you just want to put clutter in a folder, then just put the clutter in a folder.  Simple.

Richard Gergely

Doug Seibel Do you know what happens when you export a Parasolid or Step file to other systems? It would be useful if they stay intact in some way when other systems import them. Again I will have to have a play with it when I get back.

Doug Seibel

Anything sorted into a folder will be exported/imported without any folders/sorting...but the assembly/sub-assembly structure stays intact.

You may want to try making "virtual" assemblies...might be just the ticket for what you're wanting.

In the Feature Tree, select the items that you have already assembled/mated in the assembly (that you want to group in a sub-assembly)...RMB...Form New Subassembly.

Doug Seibel

Here is a screenshot of a mold with a lot of things sorted into folders...

If I make virtual assemblies out of the items in the folders, I get this...

And when I export the assembly as parasolid and import the parasolid file...

Richard Gergely

Doug Seibel wrote:

Here is a screenshot of a mold with a lot of things sorted into folders...

If I make virtual assemblies out of the items in the folders, I get this...

And when I export the assembly as parasolid and import the parasolid file...

Doug I think this is the closest to what I am after so far. I will have a good look at it when I come back from my week away.

Richard Gergely

Doug Seibel had a play with folders late tonight for a break from the grind (fighting to get jobs done before I'm away ).

It looks like this will work for me. I will let you know how things progress over the next few projects. Sometimes you get so stuck in the system you use for years you need to take a step back evaluate better ways. Thanks.