AnsweredAssumed Answered

Drawing Signoffs in PDF

Question asked by Devon Berman on Jul 31, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 by Paul Wyndham

Our company recently incorporated electronic signatures on drawings, whereby a workflow pushes each drawing through a set of predetermined individuals, and they approve the drawing and their name gets typed in by EPDM. Then we get to the scary step, where someone opens the approved drawing, adds a visual stamp, then saves the drawing as a PDF.

Issues seen so far include: Users' symbol library wasn't right so all the <MOD-DIAM>, etc show as plain text; Users' view settings were different so all the lines showed up as different weights & colors; Views move or are absent entirely. All of this is to say that the drawing that gets released might be different, in several ways, from the drawing the engineer submitted for approval.

The safest fix I can think of is for the originating engineer to save the drawing as a PDF, and then submit that PDF for approvals. I've figured out how to create dynamic stamps, so that you can drag a stamp onto the PDF and then sign that stamp. But the stamp has to be manually placed, and resized, and still allows a lot of room for improvement. Ideally, signatures could still be added to the PDF, and preferably be digitally signed (I did this with my mortgage paperwork), and the signature fields would be in a sort of template format so that all the stamps or fields are properly sized and located over the drawing artwork.

Anyone ever done that?? Thanks!

Outcomes