1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 12:34 PM by James Riddell

tracking stresses through different loadcases

Eric Christison

I have an assembly which is bonded together.

I want to assess the affects of changing constraints on the stresses in one of the glue joints. The model geometry doesn't change, just the restraints and some contact details so I can try various scenarios by duplicating the simulation and making minor changes.

Is there a way of automatically extracting the normal and shear stresses on the two faces of the glue joint from through the different scenarios? I've been manually probing the surfaces but it's getting a bit tedious.

Sensors don't seem like the answer but I may have missed something.

• Re: tracking stresses through different loadcases
          James Riddell

Sensors work to select the same node/element from one load case to the next (as long as there is no geometry change the mesh should remain the same) within the same study - especially useful if you need pretty pictures.  However, if the mesh changes the old sensors are useless (there's a drop-down box to pick the most up to date set - IDK how to get rid of the useless ones).

One 'best-practice' that I utilize is to ONLY copy the primary 'tab' to run a new LC.  (I usually do a 1G 'does it behave as I expect' load case initially.)  It seems that as with a part-from-a-part-from-a-part-from-a-part gets corrupted so do LCs.

If you learn something better I would be interested.