16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 4:48 PM by Dan Burmenko

Toolbox and Ent PDM?

Mike Sveda
      Darn search tool here is useless and knowledge base even more so.......

Is there any way to use Toolbox with Enterprise PDM?????????

Any installation information?
        • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
          Sorry for the useless info.
          • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
            Dan Burmenko
            Enterprise PDM supports Toolbox today and this is in use in many companies. We also announced at World a much deeper integration with Toolbox where the toolbox libraries are inside the vault (enabling replication etc.) and the Toolbox interfaces manages versions, local cache etc.

Anybody want to sign up to alpha/beta this capability?
            Thanks
            Dan
            • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
              Dennis Hvam
              First where to find "Working with shared toolbox parts in a multi user PDMWorks Enterprise environment" couldn't find it, post a link?

And Dan Burmenko, I would like to sign up for the Alpha/beta for the PDMWorks Enterprise with ToolBox!

Thanks in advance.
              /Dennis Hvam.
                • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                  Jon Brunke
                  Dennis,

I can't attach the file but if you go to the SolidWorks Knowledge Base and enter S-015499. You should get two results. One of them has a PDF file by the title your looking for at the bottem of the page.
                    • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                      Gene Mercer
                      I talked to my VAR pretty extensively about this (we have users 13 hours away in another country) so this would have been cool. We were on the edge of signing up for a Pro seat upgrade when we learned that... Yes, you can 'Vault' the toolbox BUT it will require you to leave those folders OPEN FOR WRITE ACCESS.

This was a deal-breaker for us. If we left it open, trash would get dropped in there immediately so.. no shared toolbox for us. The toolbox, because DB driven, creates the parts as requested so it's constantly adding new files on it's own.

If you'd like what I have on how to accomplish this (prob. same docs you've been referred to already) I can look in to it more, but for us it just wasn't what we needed. Back to protected file librarys.

Gene Mercer
                      EPDM 09SP2
                      SW 09SP2.1
                        • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                          Mike Sveda

Gene Mercer wrote:

I talked to my VAR pretty extensively about this (we have users 13 hours away in another country) so this would have been cool. We were on the edge of signing up for a Pro seat upgrade when we learned that... Yes, you can 'Vault' the toolbox BUT it will require you to leave those folders OPEN FOR WRITE ACCESS.

This was a deal-breaker for us. If we left it open, trash would get dropped in there immediately so.. no shared toolbox for us. The toolbox, because DB driven, creates the parts as requested so it's constantly adding new files on it's own.

If you'd like what I have on how to accomplish this (prob. same docs you've been referred to already) I can look in to it more, but for us it just wasn't what we needed. Back to protected file librarys.

Gene Mercer

EPDM 09SP2

SW 09SP2.1

Yeah, we didn't want junk in the vault with the toolbox so we are just adding files as needed to the libary with all the correct data fields filled. Toolbox doesn't fill in the data cards with information that is critical for us not to mention workflow issues.
                      • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                        Dan Burmenko
                        Mike, Dennis,

Send me an email at dan.burmenko@3ds.com so we can talk more about the Toolbox integration and alpha/beta.

Thanks
                        Dan
                      • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                        Mike,

I have not tried it, but it might work. Use the Toolbox Configuration Tool to generate all of the configurations you need for the different sizes. You can also use it to add descriptions and part numbers. Since all of the configurations are already created, you should not need write access to the Toolbox folder in the vault to add a new version of the file for newly added configurations.
                        • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                          I just tested and it will not work, even though all configurations are created and in the vault, you still need write permissions.
                            • Toolbox and Ent PDM?
                              Dan Burmenko

We've got some tools to address the security issue in our 2010 Enterprise/Toolbox integration. If anyone is intereted in taking a look - email me at dan.burmenko@3ds.com. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dan Burmenko
                              SolidWorks Production Definition
                              Enterprise PDM