13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 7:14 PM by Damir Galic

part insertion = fixed?

Damir Galic

Hello,

I noticed that solidworks defaults to fixed when inserting a new part into assembly and this really bugs me. Is it possible to change this so it won't fix.

Normally I never use fixed and instead mate origin to origin in case it's a first part.

• Re: part insertion = fixed?
          Habib Ghalamkari

I’m not in front of solidworks to test, but as far as I remember when inserting the part, if you don't click in the graphics area and just select the green check mark the component won't fix.

Kelvin Lamport

If you just select the green check mark instead of clicking in the graphics area, any part will be inserted at the origin of the assy and have it's axes aligned with the axes of the assy. The parts will show as fixed (f) in the feature manager and will not have the overhead of any mates.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I'm not in front of SolidWorks at the moment, so please bear with me.

I believe fixing is the default behavior when you click the green check when inserting into an assembly and the placement is origin to origin..

I think if you click in the graphics area instead, the component isn't fixed, but it's not placed at an origin and if you click the origin, it's the same as the green check method.

As a possible solutioin, Ctrl+click when selecting the first part and then click (or double-click) the origin to place it. Perhaps this won't create the fix.

Other than that, I think you may have to float after placement, but then you'll have to create mates to keep it located.

I hopes this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

Glenn Schroeder

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Hello,

I believe fixing is the default behavior when you click the green check when inserting into an assembly and the placement is origin to origin..

I think if you click in the graphics area instead, the component isn't fixed, but it's not placed at an origin and if you click the origin, it's the same as the green check method.

As a possible solutioin, Ctrl+click when selecting the first part and then click (or double-click) the origin to place it. Perhaps this won't create the fix.

Other than that, I think you may have to float after placement, but then you'll have to create mates to keep it located.

I hopes this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

I'm afraid you're mistaken about that.  The first component inserted will be fixed, regardless of how it's placed.  And to answer the OP's question, no, there isn't currently any way to change that.

Glenn

Kevin Chandler

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Hello,

I hopes this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

I'm afraid you're mistaken about that. The first component inserted will be fixed, regardless of how it's placed. And to answer the OP's question, no, there isn't currently any way to change that.

Glenn

Thank you Mr. Schroeder, I was typing off ancient memory and since I just green check the first part, I wasn't certain.

Nick Birkett-Smith

Hi Damir Galic,

It's not currently possible to do this, but we have the following enhancement SPR. You can vote on this in the Customer Portal.

SPR 652958: Add a system option that enables the user to insert the first component of an assembly as floating rather than fixed

Deepak Gupta

There can be macro made which would float the part and mate their origin.

Steve Calvert

The first part in will be fixed as default.  It isn't hard, then, to float it and mate as you wish.  Many people design in context of an assembly and this is how we like to see it because it pops in right where we want it.

Steve C