14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 10:46 PM by Dave Bear

sheet metal sinks HELP MODELING

Rudy Lara

Hi I Was wondering if anyone here can help me model these sinks in sheet metal. i was trying to draw them from 11ga stainless. I was planning on having them laser cut and formed on a press brake any help would be appreciated im stumped on how to model them as sheet metal I was thinking 3 bend lines and a slit

thank you !

• Re: sheet metal sinks HELP MODELING
          Newell Voss

Not running 2018 yet but it sounds like you could likely use a form tool. could you attach some images or dumbsolid of what you are trying to create?

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Here's a screen shot for everyone:

This is 13.21" X 25.82".

If you're willing to accept bent sections welded together, then this is doable.

Model one quadrant with one bend then mirror and mirror again. (Or just the long half as one piece and mirrored.)

Extrude cut the hole afterwards and be sure to check "Cut Normal".

Try starting with a sheet metal base flange and add a sketch bend (I don't care for sketch bends, but for this I think it will be fine).

I'll also suggest doing this as a new file from scratch and without the linkages to the step file shown above.

If welds aren't not acceptable, then this I believe is a big and expensive stamping.

Cheers,

If you're of a mind to try these steps, please upload again when you've made some progress.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Kevin

Dennis Bacon

Rudy,,, I'm guessing that you want something like this.. Was done with surfaces (a trick that John Stoltzfus taught me years ago). I used your geometry to set it up and undoubtedly went about this using more features than necessary but am in a hurry and didn't put much thought into it.  4 bends.. Don't know how you would go about this with 3. Anyway you end up with one surface that you can thicken then use the "Insert bends" tool. I use .120 for my 11ga sst thickness.. Always have..

This is a screenshot of both your solid and mine visible on top of each other. The sheet metal in magenta. You can see the line up with the exception of the bend locations.. Just the way it worked out in order to keep planar faces.  It did some goofy auto reliefs but I'm sure you can figure a way around it.

Rudy Lara

HI All thank you for the help.

yes welds are acceptable on this one. DENIS can you share your model that is exactly what I was looking for. I can take care of those auto reliefs . but i would love to learn that trick you were taught !

Dennis Bacon

Sure,, Remember that I did not plan ahead on this, just quickly slapped some stuff together. The end result is good (no doubt about it), but like I said, could have been done in fewer features. The same approach would apply to your other file as well. Just remember you want planar surfaces and your other file may take a surface or two more. After you study this you will understand that it is really basic stuff. What John helped me with was much more complex (I'm sure he was convinced I was a moron,,,, Until the light went on!). I have made sink bottoms (with sides) like this several times before and it's a beautiful thing to see it formed up. Make sure you give the brake person the bent up angles.

Rudy Lara

thank you !

Kevin Chandler

Dennis Bacon wrote:

Sure,, Remember that I did not plan ahead on this, just quickly slapped some stuff together. The end result is good (no doubt about it), but like I said, could have been done in fewer features. The same approach would apply to your other file as well. Just remember you want planar surfaces and your other file may take a surface or two more. After you study this you will understand that it is really basic stuff. What John helped me with was much more complex (I'm sure he was convinced I was a moron,,,, Until the light went on!). I have made sink bottoms (with sides) like this several times before and it's a beautiful thing to see it formed up. Make sure you give the brake person the bent up angles.

Dennis Bacon Thank You and John Stoltzfus Thank You for this technique.

It's a very novel solution.

To reflect that the hole will be cut on the blank, I reduced the diameter of the hole's surface extrude to "leave some material".

Then as the final operation, I did a cut extrude with "normal cut" checked to get square edges.

Cheers,

Kevin

John Stoltzfus

Dennis Bacon  wrote:

That was pretty long ago, at least more than 4.5 yrs, starting to see how much I forgot over that time, at the time I did sheet metal everyday and it's amazing how some of those jobs pushed me over my limit and had to scramble to find a way to get it done, at the same time there were a lot of new sheet metal features coming out, that worked if the job was by the book, anything outside of that was anyone's guess...

You were never a moron Dennis

Dennis Bacon

Rudy... I was looking at your basin-12 and thought I would give it a shot. A simpler approach than what I did on the other. The most difficult part of this is trying to figure where the center of the drain is. The step file is really wonky in that area. I'm sure it's not to any drawing.. Speaking of drawing. Do you have one?. This is a piece of cake if you know where the top edge is and where the surfaces converge and what the hole size and location is. . If that was the case you could model it as a solid and do a convert to sheet metal. I did use convert to SM on this on (rather than thicken and Insert Bends) in order to get better looking corners. Basically what this one is,,, rectangle on one plane and a point on another. Then surface loft, trim and convert. Trying to figure out where that point might be was not easy due to the step geom..

You can unhide your step and compare. You will note the difference in the geom around the hole. I can't imagine wanting the goofy geometry that you see in the step file.. After all,,, this is a sink. I suspect it just didn't export or import correctly.

J. Mather

The attached are not the same as your design - but you might find the technique useful in accomplishing your Design Intent.

Rudy Lara

Thanks All im sorta new to solidworks but this is what i can up with on my own. I really appreciate everyone's help on this your models are 1000x's better than mine look thank you!

all these approcahes are amazing i will save all the files and study them so I can make these sinks and have this info for future encounters ! thank you again

John Stoltzfus

Rudy Lara

What I do in a situation like this is save the best way to do something and save it in a Sample Folder, then when another job comes up, open up the sample and do a save as copy into the Job Folder.  Then close the Sample Part and open the newly saved part, make the dimensional changes and you're done with the model....  Or take the Sample part and insert it into a drawing, add all the details and dimension and save it in a Sample Folder, then when you have a new job, open the Sample Drawing and do a Pack & Go, do a Search & Replace to give it a new part number etc, then open that drawing and assembly, make your changes and viola - you're done..