5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 10:35 AM by Christian Chu

Revision scheme A1,A2,etc

Artyom Vitouchkine

Trying to set up revision scheme like this (not major minor type)  A1,A2 .....A10, B1,B2....B10 etc

PDM standard. I added revision number components, changed transition settings in QS workflow(default WF selected during vault creation).

I can only get to change letter or number but not in a sequential way like I would like to. First numbers cycle through, then after 10 letter changes to next

Thank you

• Re: Revision scheme A1,A2,etc
          Matt Peneguy

You may have to manually create a naming scheme like that.  I'd use Excel and combine the A, B, C... with the 1, 2, 3 by using &:

Then copy and paste the values from the combined cell.

And I would also suggest having minor revisions to save your work.  Only bump to the major with no trailing minor revisions at release states.

Christian Chu

Agreed with Matt - Using number for version and letter for revision which the version will be changed to the next number for each checkin while the letter is only changed at the final state for "approve and release"

Artyom Vitouchkine

Thanks.That should work.

For some reason I just like revisions to have letter and number.

to Christian:

Why track number for version at check in? Vault already tracks version for each file check in.

I am the only user(and engineer /designer ) in the  vault, and use released state before sending parts for quote or order.

Main reason I have PDM is to keep track of parts/assemblies I have to finish, have different(unique) names, search function, where used etc.

Also easy to see which files didnt get modified/saved when SW crashes during work on a big assembly with many  referenced parts.

I used to have EPDM 10 years ago, and it was useful for multiple users environment.

here is my simple workflow

WF1.JPG

Matt Peneguy

I have more experience with WPDM and know it better than PDM Standard.  But, if I understand this correctly every time you check something into the vault the revision gets bumped.  The milestones are supposed to be "Released" drawings and those get the Major Release state.  It just makes it easier to track what you have sent out as "Production".

But, if it is just you working in this you can do whatever you want.  I'd just recommend the Major.Minor revision scheme.

Christian Chu

Artyom Vitouchkine wrote:

Thanks.That should work.

For some reason I just like revisions to have letter and number.

to Christian:

Why track number for version at check in? Vault already tracks version for each file check in.

I am the only user(and engineer /designer ) in the vault, and use released state before sending parts for quote or order.

Main reason I have PDM is to keep track of parts/assemblies I have to finish, have different(unique) names, search function, where used etc.

Also easy to see which files didnt get modified/saved when SW crashes during work on a big assembly with many referenced parts.

I used to have EPDM 10 years ago, and it was useful for multiple users environment.

here is my simple workflow

WF1.JPG

The purpose of the version/revision is to tell the engineers the life cycle of design no matter its a one man shop or a group of designers. So we keep record of the version beside the fact that PDM itself has its own tracking number

Using A1 to A10 and B1 to B10 and so on, I'm not sure what I can tell the history of the design