31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 6:23 PM by Dan Pihlaja

How to edit this sketch

Mick Jubby

I have struggled with this for many hours trying to follow tutorials and I'm not getting anywhere.   As you can see from the photo, I simply wish to modify this drawing by changing the curved strap to a rectangular one.  When I rotate the object the lines will not rotate with it.  When I zoom in to see if the lines have snapped to the corners, they are always a distance apart.

Please tell me how to do this (the controls), so the lines snap together and I can blend it to the original.

• Re: How to edit this sketch
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't know what tutorial you're trying to follow, but for what you described it's much simpler than what you have shown.  Delete, or at least hide, the 3d sketch you're showing.  Click on the surface indicated below with the star and choose the "Extruded Boss/Base" feature.  [Edit:  Choosing "Extruded Boss/Base" with a surface or plane pre-selected will open a sketch on the surface or plane.]  Use the Convert Entities sketch tool to create an arc coincident with the rounded edge (arrow pointing up), and recreate the lines indicated by the other two arrows.  Add relations to fully define the lines and close the sketch.  The property manager for the extrude feature will open.  Choose "Up to Surface" for the end condition, select the opposite face, and check the box for "Merge result".

Mick Jubby

Thank you very much for that.  

I have selected the "Extruded Boss/Base" feature. I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to get something to happen from there..

Glenn Schroeder

Mick Jubby wrote:

I have selected the "Extruded Boss/Base" feature. I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to get something to happen from there..

I had hoped that my screenshots and explanation would get you there, but apparently not.  If you can explain where you're hung up, or better yet post your Part file (see How can I attach a file to a forum post?), I'm sure someone can help you with it.

Tony Tieuli

Mick Jubby wrote:

The only thing I see missing from Glenn's explanation is that once you select the Extruded Boss/Base feature you have to either edit the features sketch or create a new sketch on that face. Then you can use the Convert Entities sketch tool.

Glenn Schroeder

Tony Tieuli wrote:

Mick Jubby wrote:

The only thing I see missing from Glenn's explanation is that once you select the Extruded Boss/Base feature you have to either edit the features sketch or create a new sketch on that face. Then you can use the Convert Entities sketch tool.

Nope.  I neglected to mention that when you select a surface or plane and then choose "Extruded Boss/Base" a sketch will automatically open on the pre-selected surface or plane, but otherwise my directions above are good.  I've been doing it that way for years.

Loren Swensen

I'm not sure, but it looks like you are using 3D sketch to do this? If your part is a simple body, this could be easily done with the extruded boss command.

Mick Jubby

I deleted those lines. Switched back to 2D and added 2 lines to square off that rounded edge.  I converted to entities.  

Next...

Glenn Schroeder

Mick Jubby wrote:

I deleted those lines. Switched back to 2D and added 2 lines to square off that rounded edge. I converted to entities.

Next...

Then close the sketch, if you haven't already, choose the "Extruded Boss/Base" feature, and make the selections shown above.

Mick Jubby

I have successfully made that one end rectangular, but I am struggling to repeat the moves for the other end.   I can't get the extrude arrow to point the right way. A great number of attempts later, still no progress. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm unimpressed with this software.

Dave Bear

Hi Mick,

What is that cliché about a tradesman and his tools?

The problem isn't the software. Take a deep breath and follow what has been shown to you above.

Dave.

Tony Tieuli

Mick Jubby wrote:

I have successfully made that one end rectangular, but I am struggling to repeat the moves for the other end. I can't get the extrude arrow to point the right way. A great number of attempts later, still no progress. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm unimpressed with this software.

I downloaded and opened your model. I've gotta tell you, this is about as simple as it gets. Any one of the folks trying to help you here could have done this in 10 minutes or less. That would include doing all the different bodies then putting them into an assembly.

It's pretty obvious that you haven't done the tutorials included with the software.

Saying that you're not impressed with the software without doing any kind of training is like flying a helicopter without ever having taken a flying lesson and then being shocked when you crash.

J. Mather

Mick Jubby wrote:

I'm unimpressed with this software.

Can you ask your instructor to join this discussion?

J. Mather

Delete Face.

Or maybe not in this case.

Attach your *.sldprt file here.

Mick Jubby

Here it is

Kevin Pymm

Mick,

As everyone else has said, go through the tutorials.....several times. Several people have already given their time to try & help you with detailed instructions & images which you aren't able to follow.

To switch direction of the extrude click the button in the feature details on the left as shown below....the one with the two arrows on showing different directions. You can also do the same thing by dragging the arrow & pulling it out one side or the other.

Just a heads up....neither will work as you have errors in your sketches with four arcs on top of each other.....& two lines on top of each other.

Dave Bear

Hi Mick,

I'm thinking that you just might have quite a bit to gain by doing the tutorials that come with your software (in-built). In fact, you would be doing yourself a disservice not to complete them!

Dave.

Kevin Pymm

Is this an imported dumb solid?

If not, just edit the sketch that created the profile in the first place or delete the fillet or extrude cut (or whatever...) from the feature tree.

ömür tokman

Hi,

See attached video

David Nelson

May be a dumb question but why not modify the original sketch. Take out a curve and add two lines and you are done.

Dan Pihlaja

Mick.  See the attached videos.  Here are a couple of ways to get what you want.

I am using Solidworks 2017 SP5.  If you are using a different version, then you might see something a little different.

David Sloop

Evidently this was done in a later version than 2017, because I get "future version" when I open it.

If you are quitting due to that simple model, there is no hope for you in life. Especially life as an Engineer or CAD operator. We face, and welcome challenges every day.

Most anyone here could completely re-model that from the ground up in less than 20 minutes.

I see that it appears you have overlapping bodies. You just made a new one where you were trying to remove that radius.

Was this an imported "dumb" model, or did you model this in Solidworks originally?

Glenn Schroeder

I just looked at your model, and now I understand why you're having so much trouble with it, and why the instructions I gave yesterday didn't work.  You failed to mention that you started with an imported model that consists solely of surfaces (understandably you probably didn't realize it mattered).  I, and probably others, had assumed you were starting with a solid body model you had created from scratch.  I rarely work with surfaces, or imported files, so I'm not the best person to help.  Hopefully someone else can reply and explain or show how, if it's possible, to convert that surface body to a solid body.  After that your task will be much easier.

Dan Pihlaja

Mick Jubby

Aha!  OK..I can't open the file, since it was created in 2018.   Since this imported as a surface.....what was the original file type?

You might be able to totally fix your problem by re-importing it and changing your import settings.

You also might be able to get away with NOT re-importing it.  To test, roll back in your feature tree to right after the "surface-imported1" and attempt to knit the surface.

If it tells you that you cannot knit a surface to itself, then you have a closed surface.  The best way to fix this is to split the surface, and then re-knit.

Pick a plane that intersects it and Select Insert, Features, Split.

Then Check both boxes and then hit the green check.

This leaves you with 2 surface bodies.

Select both surface bodies and then Select knit again:

Make sure that you have "Create solid" checked.

Now you should have a shiny new solid body.

Then the directions from myself and others regarding the sketches should start working.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Before you start any modifications or additions to the imported geometry, I suggest you first make it a solid.

For the first extrude boss, select the web face and click convert entities in the sketch.

Only the outline will be converted, so to add the holes, click one hole edge (it will only be an arc, but that's okay) and convert entities on it.

Change this arc to construction.

Create a sketch circle centered on the arc and with the radius snapped to the arc's endpoint.

Repeat this for each hole, one at a time.

For the extrude direction 1 end condition, select "Up to Vertex" and select a vertex on the opposite face.

This completes the web boss.

Repeat these steps for the bottom flange (selecting the bottom face as the start).

Repeat these steps for the bottom top flange (selecting the top face as the start), except since there are no holes, you don't have to do those steps.

You should now have a solid as shown above and it's one-to-one with your imported geometry.

It's merged as one solid:

The Solid Bodies count is 1. The (1) surface body is the original imported geometry.

Hide (not suppress) the Imported geometry.

Now that you have a solid, you can follow any of the above suggestions.

I hope this helps.

SW2018 attached.

Cheers,

Kevin