5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2018 12:42 PM by Joe Ourada

copy and paste

Bryan Hidy

I'm coming to Solidworks from Inventor and I've noticed several things that I am having trouble with in solidworks.  The first of which is that there seems to be no easy way to link two dimensions in a sketch.  Just as an example, if I want dimension d6 to be half of d5 in Inventor I could click on dim d6 to edit and then instead of typing in a number I could click on d5 and then type out d5 / 2.  The second is that Ctrl C and Ctrl V pastes the component out in space instead of where I'm clicking my mouse.

• Re: copy and paste
          Glenn Schroeder

When you have the dimension box active for dim d6, hit the equal key on your keyboard, click on d5 to enter it in the dimension dialog box, then type /2.

John Stoltzfus

Bryan Hidy  wrote:

The second is that Ctrl C and Ctrl V pastes the component out in space instead of where I'm clicking my mouse.

Glenn Schroeder answered your first question and to add to that you can open the equations dialog box and do a lot more.

Your second question.....  What are you needing to copy and paste.. Sketches or sketch entities??  Parts or Assemblies..

Frederick Law

Bryan Hidy wrote:

The second is that Ctrl C and Ctrl V pastes the component out in space instead of where I'm clicking my mouse.

Same here.

Just pasted a few sketch and thought it didn't work.  Saw them later when I zoom all.

It'll help if you change view to look at the sketch before paste.  Also check the box "keep relation" in copy command, its off by default.

Glenn Schroeder

I overlooked your second question; sorry about that.  You said "The second is that Ctrl C and Ctrl V pastes the component out in space instead of where I'm clicking my mouse."   Assuming you're referring to a component in an Assembly, use a different workflow.  Hold down Ctrl, click on the component you want to copy, drag into the graphics area, and drop (holding down Ctrl the whole time).  That will place a second instance of the Part or sub-assembly where you dropped.

Joe Ourada

If you are having trouble accessing the dimension dialogue box to enter your linked equations between sketches, make sure you do not have Instant2D turned on.