7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 9:16 PM by Andrew Schutte

Mirroring a part with a drawing attached?

Jim Bannister

I have a sheet metal part that has a drawing attached to it. I want to mirror (copy) the part and have the drawing (copy) update to the mirrored part. I think I know how to create the mirrored part (derived configuration).

Additionally, there will be a view in the drawing of an assembly (mirrored part with inserts).

I am working in SW2018

JimB

• Re: Mirroring a part with a drawing attached?
          Andrew Schutte

Jim,

Everything you said is possible except the drawing *auto* update (assuming without errors) to the mirrored geometry.

I would consider best practices to be mirroring the body, deleting the old body (with either the delete body command or a cut extrude) and suppressing those two features (mirror and delete/cut) between the original and handed configuration.

If your part numbering schema allows, I would add a -0 and -1 to your configurations to denote original (-0) handed (-1), etc. (or -1 and -2).

Then your drawing can match your SOLIDWORKS configuration names (if desired).

If part numbers aren't an issue, and/or you plan to add both hands on a single drawing (depending on the application it's not recommended) then it's easier yet.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

To create a mirror sheet metal part, I suggest creating a Mirrored Part.

In your current part, first select the face you want as the fixed face, then select the menus: Insert>Mirrored Part (it's grayed out if you don't preselect a face).

Cheers,

Kevin

Andrew Schutte

Kevin,

While this is a valid way in the software to create a mirrored part, Jim in his original post mentioned a derived configuration.

Also when possible it's generally best practice to avoid external references, especially if you share data with others outside your organization, and/or don't have a good PDM environment, etc.

Kevin Chandler

Andrew Schutte wrote:

Kevin,

While this is a valid way in the software to create a mirrored part,

Jim in his original post mentioned a derived configuration

Also when possible it's generally best practice to avoid external references, especially if you share data with others outside your organization, and/or don't have a good PDM environment, etc.

Understood, but "think" was also there and emphasized, so I figured I'd offer up another serving suggestion for his consideration.

Cheers,

Kevin

Jim Bannister

I mentioned using a derived configuration as this was suggested by someone. I have no motivation to do it this way if there is a better way.

I personally don't care for external references but was suggested to do it this way by my client.

This is a simple EL bracket with some PEMS.

In my experience, the best way is to use one part, one drawing with dash numbers for "SHOWN" & "OPPOSITE". The fab house can simply "Bend it the other way".

Another way is to copy off the part/drawing/assembly, re-number and flip the bends/ holes etc. Then cleanup the drawing. Annotate in the drawing the mirrored relation to the original.

Of course, these methods are less than desirable in some cases as the connection between the original part and the mirrored part is broken.

JimB

Sumit Rana

If all you want is just the mirrored drawing, then you can do following things:

1. copy the sheet (within the same drawing file) for original part and go to view properties and create mirrored views as mentioned in the image shown below.

2. Make new drawing with different file name and use the original model for creating mirrored views by above mentioned method.

Mirror View.jpg

if you also want to show it in the assembly then simply use mirror component within the assembly.

Sumit