11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 11:23 AM by James Riddell

HI, Im new here.

Dwayne Goossen

We have just got solidworks 2018 standard with simulation. I have not had training yet. We have something new we are needing to run simulation on and i don't have it all figured out yet. Is there some way to get help with this or someone that does this kind of thing?

• Re: HI, Im new here.
          J. Mather

The best way is to take a class and/or hire an experienced consultant.

Can you Attach your *.sldprt file here and explain what you want to analyze?

Someone here might be able to solve the problem for you and show how it was solved.

Andy Sanders

I don't know if I'd jump into analysis blind without any training.  If the simulation is not setup properly, you could get bad results that could be very misleading.  Plus knowing how to interpret the results can be confusing at first.

Glenn Schroeder

Your VAR should offer training classes.

John Stoltzfus

Dwayne Goossen  wrote:

We have just got solidworks 2018 standard with simulation. I have not had training yet. We have something new we are needing to run simulation on and i don't have it all figured out yet. Is there some way to get help with this or someone that does this kind of thing?

Welcome to the forum...

Why would you risk approving something that could break, training is the answer.  Even if you are trained to do simulation, can you translate the results, I know I can't...

Tom Gagnon

Welcome to the Forum.

In upper right corner of page you will find a magnifying glass icon. Try using that to search relevant terms.

Terms like "learn" or "where to start" could lead you to other posts asking a different flavor of your question.

The suggestions you can find are:

* Learn with Tutorials included in the software

* Learn from VAR training courses

* Only learn from YouTube with understanding that you likely know nothing of the expertise of video maker, and can easily be mislead to bad learning from out-of-context instructions. Also, software changes with time and the video may be old. Use much caution and distrust of YouTube unless it is from a reputable source. See also: VAR.

* Ask here

* Pay a consultant. We have one here but his offers are truly exorbitant and mostly in jest to people who simply want everything done for them. I'd mention his name, but it would only encourage him.

In the meantime, Dan has recently gathered an excellent collection of posts about what where and how for new users, at: How do I do this SOLIDWORKS Forum thing? This reflects a lot of well curated good advice for new users. Do not overlook it. It is likely also currently the number one top Sticky Post found at the Home list of this site, on the upper right, below the mag glass icon which I mentioned earlier.

J. Mather

Tom Gagnon wrote:

* Pay a consultant. We have one here but his offers are truly exorbitant ...

Does he work for the firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe?

I've heard his work is really top-notch and well worth the fee that he charges.

David Matula

Standard solid works with simulation?

Must be the express.  or someone negotiated a heck of a deal and forgot to get some training included.

The fun of the simulation.  Where to apply the forces to what little surface?  Then what do all them fancy colors mean when you look at it.....  applied safety factors and all that jazz.  I have assisted with setting up parts for this testing....but if I had not had proper directions then who knows what the parts would have looked like.  

Dwayne Goossen

Ok, So where do I find a consultant that is reasonable?

James Riddell

There are a number of tutorials that come with the software (for free).  If you have some engineering background then you should be able to easily figure out the basics.  The hard part is to figure out if the FEA is providing anything close to what the real answer should be.