8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 12:07 PM by Paul Salvador

Dimension Non Uniform Fillet

Adam Thickett

Hello,

I have a section 3D laser cut out of a tube and I have a 3mm fillet on the corners, due to the non uniform edge geometry I am struggling to dimension the radius on the 2D drawing.  I have tried creating construction line to enable me to make a tangent aux view, also the same creating custom views in the model.  I have attached some images to help describe the issue as well as the model to enable you to see the exact issue.

The image Capture04 shows the radius as R10 but I would like this to be linked to the model and not just dumb as it is now.

Thanks

Adam

• Re: Dimension Non Uniform Fillet
          John Stoltzfus

This may not be an option, but if I have a part that is cut using a CNC, I depend on the programmer to make sure that the toolpaths follow the model and the type of dimension you show would be marked as a REF dimension. 

Adam Thickett

Thanks John,

you are correct that this part will be programmed from a STL file and so the 2D Drawing is mainly redundant.  We still use it however for our in house operations and so I would like to future proof it for the time we change the fillet on the model and then I forget to update the dumb note on the drawing.

I can't wait until we move to just using the 3D geometry with all the tolerances and notes included,  I will keep dreaming.

John Stoltzfus

Adam Thickett

Another thing that I've done is this....

Reduce the decimal places and add additional numbers if needed or.....

You can easily create a special layer for those types of dimensions and color the layer differently than the regular dimensions, that way when you change a dimension like this the different color could prompt you to review the dimension.

Paul Salvador

Hello Adam,.. so, Insert/Model Items does not work?  (image attached)

insertmodelitems.png

Adam Thickett

Hey Paul,

Thanks for this reply, I did try this earlier but it didn't pull through for me, I have tried to recreate the view you used and then inserted model items again.  The result is below, I created the view in the model by using the 'side view plane' to create a new view.

Please can you let me know how you managed to get the fillet radius to pull through, I guess it all depends how you created that view.  Sometimes I swear 3D modelling is a black art rather than a learnt skill.

Thanks

Adam

Adam Thickett

Paul Salvador

I am clearly missing something as I still haven't managed to create the right view that shows the dimension when I insert the auto dimensions.

Thanks

Adam

Paul Salvador

Hello Adam,.. ok, I was hoping someone here (who loves drawings (like a Teddy Bear) and knows why SW Corp does NOT allow for this Fillet to show!?!? )... anyhow.. I thought maybe someone would but... ?

First.. I will tell you why I did not respond right away... because IT REALLY TICKS ME OFF that SW CORP HAS NOT FIXED THIS NORMAL TO VIEW FUBAR!... and your file CRASHES ON ME?  (that is why... and crash images attached at bottom)

So.. as many may know.. you can NOT get a Radius to show UNLESS it is Normal (or close to normal) to the view (image attached).. and my past workaround or what I did was open the part and create a Plane which is normal to the fillet...using the edge of the fillet (image attached)

..then, I view that plane (R3 view) normal to and Save a View named (R3 vw).... open the drawing and create a view using the Named View "R3 vw".... then, Rotate the view to be approx normal to or projected from 1st view.. lastly rerun "Model Items" to display the R3. (image/files attached)

not normal.pngnormalto.pngcrsh 2.pngcrsh 2017.png