13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 6:12 PM by Jason Capriotti

Restructured vault, need to fix broken references

Steve Soeder

I restructured folders in our vault and now whenever we open an assembly, we get prompted with the "browse for missing part" dialog for every part.  This is a huge productivity killer and I need to fix it somehow.

All I did was cut/paste files from one folder to another within the PDM explorer window.  The files were all (100%) checked-in (we just did a migration to a new server and updated from EPDM 2015 to PDM Pro 2018).  I thought the beauty of PDM was that is was supposed to automatically update references when you moved files this way?

Is there any way to quickly update references for the thousands of parts I've now broken?

I basically just want to change the reference path from Vault/FolderA/FolderB  to  Vault/FolderC

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Steve

• Re: Restructured vault, need to fix broken references
          Alex Burnett

I don't know if the information in here can help you solve your problem but it does go into great detail about what SW does before it determines it cannot find a file. Perhaps adding a path to "Referenced Paths" would help SW find the file.

Search Path Order for Opening Files in SOLIDWORKS

Steve Soeder

Alex, very thoughtful and sounded like it would work, however, I just tried it and even after adding the new folder to the "referenced paths" section, I'm still getting the same browse for parts error.  Based on the search heirarchy described, this doesn't make much sense, yet that is what I'm experiencing.

Also, I tried selecting all files and using "update references" - big mistake.  That checked out all files - without warning me or giving me the option to say no to checking them out - and we are now in an even worse bind as I have been waiting about an hour for "undo checkout" to finish "building trees" for all 12000+ files I accidentally checked out.

Jeremy Feist

the referenced files path trick is a solidworks function, so it is unaware of PDM - it would work only for files that you already had a copy of in your local cache.

if you had dragged and dropped files rather than cut and paste, PDM would have kept the associations. cut and pasted files get treated as "new" files - check the file history of any of the files you pasted...

Alex Burnett

Steve Soeder wrote:

(...) Also, I tried selecting all files and using "update references" - big mistake. That checked out all files - without warning me or giving me the option to say no to checking them out - and we are now in an even worse bind as I have been waiting about an hour for "undo checkout" to finish "building trees" for all 12000+ files I accidentally checked out.

I feel your pain on that one. I haven't done this specifically but we did have a colleague accidentally change the state from the issued state to a new revision state on an entire assembly. He had to one by one roll each part back that he accidentally did that to.

As for your situation, do you have a VAR you can talk to? Typically they have more powerful tools that may help you out of this.

Sam Sam

Hi,

I faced it, is not sure that everything can be solved changeover of references (there are a lot more other communications in a basis of SQL and Registry because of which there will be a mass of problems).

If there is a possibility of repetition of the procedure of data transfer - it is the best option.

Better in such cases for testing to use the virtual machine (it is possible to make a clone of the real machine).

In PDM Pro 2018, it is possible to add the Move a Tree point for the file or the folder to the menu of the user.

Perhaps, in case of such relocation of problems with links shall not be.

Whether this option approaches, instead of copy/paste in this situation - to decide to you.

Anyway, it can be tried after incorrect transfer on other server.

As I understood, not everything was made as it is necessary.

In the Visual Studio of 2015 there are many tools for dataful operation - if there is a wish - try.

I already tried it - a lot of downtime, chances are not enough (I can be mistaken).

Charley Saint

You can go to search and list all the parent files in your vault (search for name *.sldasm *.slddrw, limit to a subfolder if you know the broke files are there) Then select as many as you want to do at once and click the tools menu and pick Update References. That will regenerate all the references of all files and tell you which ones are broken in the database so you can repair them. Just select the Find Files button at the top and select the root of the vault and it'll run through looking for files with the correct name (hopefully you don't have duplicate filenames). Then just hit update and everything should get checked back in with the correct references.

Christian Chu

Steve Soeder wrote:

I restructured folders in our vault and now whenever we open an assembly, we get prompted with the "browse for missing part" dialog for every part. This is a huge productivity killer and I need to fix it somehow.

All I did was cut/paste files from one folder to another within the PDM explorer window. The files were all (100%) checked-in (we just did a migration to a new server and updated from EPDM 2015 to PDM Pro 2018). I thought the beauty of PDM was that is was supposed to automatically update references when you moved files this way?

Is there any way to quickly update references for the thousands of parts I've now broken?

I basically just want to change the reference path from Vault/FolderA/FolderB to Vault/FolderC

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

cut/paste files from one folder to another within the PDM explorer window

I think this is the cause of missing the link between the files which should be "move", drag/drop, not cut/past

Did you back up the Vault before making the changes? if yes, then try using "move" reorganize your Vault structure; otherwise, you have to manually fix the missing links

Sam Sam

If a question still relevant, it is probable to repeat opportunities the procedure isn't present?

Therefore, it isn't sure that will help, but in Administratin PDM/Settings there is tab "External References".

Also in SolidWorks Settings - there are tabs: "External references" and "Location of files / Referenced documents".

I think that all this was already tried.

And what will be if to copy files back - in the PDM folder with old path? Or out of PDM with the same path?

And to try different options of updating of references?

As there is no information on structure of folders and files - therefore isn't present on what to try.

Sam Sam

I specially tried to copy, cut, move the folder with the CheckIn in PDM files.

In one vault, in different vaults, out of PDM.

In any option, no problems existed. After copying of files CheckIn or CheckOut - it is unimportant.

However, all files were within one folder (except for Toolbox).

But such situation is familiar to me, errors or process interrupt of copying can be the cause or if files I was are locked with system or are open in other application.

Or in case of the wrong transfer of files from one server on another.

Possibly in assemblies there are files from different maps with identical names, or files are not rebuilt or have not saved changes (perhaps it was necessary to clean a local cache or something else).

From that information that is in a question, it is difficult to understand in what a problem, it is possible in network functioning? Or in the PDM/SolidWorks settings?

At least, I cannot reproduce this situation now.

Probably, the best option - to try to repeat the reorganization procedure, can somehow on another.

Of course, if for there is everything that is required.

I wish success.

Steve Soeder

I am working with my VAR currently to restore the database from backup. 

My VAR suggested the cut/paste should not have been a problem. The rep I am working with is knowledgeable of PDM Professional and was not aware of any issues with using cut/paste and was surprised that it would cause an issue. However, it sounds like some of you have had the same experience, so I don't know what to think.

I did check the file history on the cut/pasted files and they still show all the prior versions and state transitions with proper dates - it is not blank like a new file as was suggested.

Charley Saint

I suspect you may still have a problem when your vault is restored. In general EPDM won't break references once they're logged in the database, but sometimes they don't get logged in the database. It's usually something in the file itself like rebuild errors or a small corruption that's not noticeable in the geometry. It can also happen with really old version files (like SW 2012 files in a 2018 vault). So it may "fix" the issue just like moving the files back to the original folder would "fix" it, but it'll just break again as soon as you move something. The issue was probably always there but you didn't notice it because SolidWorks search routines covered it up since you already had the files cached.