7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 11:52 AM by David Matula

Project File Help

J. P.

Hi Guys,

I wonder if there is a quicker and easier way of producing a project drawing file and BOM than that I am doing.

I am producing larger and larger project drawing files at the moment (weldment bicycle shelters, bus shelters etc) and its getting a little hard to control.

Usually a project file of 30 pages are produced and manageable but recent drawing files have been upwards of 100 pages.

Here is my usual workflow.

1. Create weldment structure

2. Create Assy with components (ie brackets and bought in features)

3. Create detailed individual drawing files from the above assembly

The first page has the full assembly with BOM links to the other pages for the sub assemblies.

I wonder if this is the standard workflow and if there is a quicker/better way of controlling the drawings especially quantity amounts.

My main problem is that I want links of quantities/ dimensions to reflect from the first sheet to the others.

Basically is there a way to link dimensions/quantities to reflect on the other sheets?

If there is any other input, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JP

• Re: Project File Help
          John Stoltzfus

Your workflow is very similar to mine and yes things slow down when you keep adding pages, my largest drawing file here is about 110 pages and for some reason the only thing that lags is the Assembly drawing, not sure why..

I would suggest to keep the file size manageable you can have separate drawings for all Sub-assemblies and one for the Main Assembly and another for Parts. 

I also use up to 10 Cover Sheets with every drawing, now I don't want the Cover Sheets to be included in the Sheet Count (Sheet 1 of 30) so I run a macro to renumber the sheets accordingly.

The "Key" with any drawing or parts etc is to number it and file it so you can find it very easily later on...

J. P.

Is there a way to parametrically link a dimension or text from the first page to the other pages ?

I previously used Inventor and this is one things I miss.

Glenn Schroeder

J. P. wrote:

Is there a way to parametrically link a dimension or text from the first page to the other pages ?

I previously used Inventor and this is one things I miss.

One option, especially for dimensions, would be to set up custom properties in the models linked to the dimensions.  Then you could link notes to this property, and the notes would be parametric, so if the dimension changed in the model the note would update in the drawing.  For notes, you could do the same thing, or set them up as custom properties in the drawing and, again, link the notes to the custom property.

Josh Brady

J. P. wrote:

Hi Guys,

I wonder if there is a quicker and easier way of producing a project drawing file and BOM than that I am doing.

I am producing larger and larger project drawing files at the moment (weldment bicycle shelters, bus shelters etc) and its getting a little hard to control.

Usually a project file of 30 pages are produced and manageable but recent drawing files have been upwards of 100 pages.

Here is my usual workflow.

1. Create weldment structure

2. Create Assy with components (ie brackets and bought in features)

3. Create detailed individual drawing files from the above assembly

The first page has the full assembly with BOM links to the other pages for the sub assemblies.

I wonder if this is the standard workflow and if there is a quicker/better way of controlling the drawings especially quantity amounts.

My main problem is that I want links of quantities/ dimensions to reflect from the first sheet to the others.

Basically is there a way to link dimensions/quantities to reflect on the other sheets?

If there is any other input, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JP

IMHO it's not good to try to put quantities on individual part drawings.  Quantities should be driven by the Bill of Materials/Work order/PO etc. 

-You can't re-use that drawing in another assembly that uses a different quantity

-It's a pain to do

-It's duplicate information stored in multiple places.  Any change to the assembly means all of the part drawings are now out of date.

-If you need to make a spare/extra/replacement/etc. then you have a drawing showing one qty, and a PO/work order for a different quantity.  At minimum you have created an extra task for yourself to make sure that whoever makes the parts follows the order and not the number on the drawing.

-It requires you to put all your drawings in a single SW file, which gets huge and unmanageable (hence your post).

However... If you insist upon this course of action (or it is insisted upon you), drawing views of individual components can still be linked to the BOM on the first page.  You can then use a Balloon with the "Balloon Text" setting set to "Quantity".  You can format the balloon such that it has no border/leader/etc, but it will still have to be attached to the component in the view so if you move the view, the number will move too.