AnsweredAssumed Answered

OT: Career help opportunity

Question asked by Wayne Tiffany on Feb 26, 2009
Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 by Wayne Tiffany
Ladies & gentlemen:

This is not directly related to SW how-to's but I bring this info here as a service from and to our SW community, and our future SW community members, and what better way to do that than through our user groups. Most of you know that I wouldn't post something here that I felt was inappropriate, so please take the time to read through it.

Basically what this is, is an opportunity to tell your story of why you are doing the job you do, and what would you tell your child, or the neighbor kid about preparing for this type of job, if you had the opportunity to. And as you will also read, there is now an opportunity for "...adults who are exploring new career opportunities..." to also use the system to get back to work. Any of you know of anyone in that situation? Yes, I do too, so that's why I feel it's important to get this word out. I have talked with the gal (she's been my good friend since college days...) and who knows, you might find a match with what I do and decide that you want to work here!

Give her a call and see if this is something you want to help with. It's kind of like giving blood - it's nice to have it there when you need it some day, but it doesn't hurt as much. Tell her I sent you. :-)

WT

----------------------------
Good Day:

"The times, they are a'changin'," as the lyric goes. It has never been truer regarding our economy and the urgent necessity to train, regroup, and reconsider our careers to ensure economic health and recovery. As unsettling as this era is for us who are currently established in our careers, just imagine what our next generation must be facing. I would like to request your help in guiding our students to explore the full spectrum of opportunities that they may not have considered, because they may be unaware they existed.

Every 8th grader in the United States is required to plan their 4 year high school curriculum, in order to ensure they complete all the classes necessary for college entrance, with an emphasis on the classes they need for the major they wish to declare. This is a daunting task for most 14-year-olds. Kuder, Inc. was founded by Frederick Kuder over 75 years ago, in an effort to help these students determine what type of careers they are interested in, and therefore help encourage success in college, and fulfillment in the work world. Thousands of school districts across the nation use the Kuder Career Interest, Values, and Skills Assessment tools and curriculum through their guidance offices and social studies departments. Beginning in March, Kuder® Journey will be available to adults who are exploring new career opportunities, using very similar tools. The economic environment in which we currently find ourselves makes this an especially vital and urgent resource. President Obama's recently approved incentive program includes a large portion of dedicated funds for education, and what could be more important than career selection education right now?

One aspect that is unique to the Kuder program is our Person Match profiles. This library of interviews with professionals such as you, in every walk of life imaginable, is the primary factor in the accuracy and reliability of our assessment tools and curriculum. We are looking for those in jobs that require at least a 4-year college degree. However, we are also looking for careers that may be new, unique, or non-traditional, that may not necessarily require a 4-year degree, but do need some preparation and planning; for instance those requiring an apprenticeship or internship. We are also especially looking for all these types of careers in the New England and Rocky Mountain states, the Southern region, and Michigan, Kentucky and West Virginia.

If you are currently fulfilling a career described above, and especially in the areas I mentioned, I would like to request adding your career story to our library of professional profiles. Your participation would benefit young people and adults throughout the United States, as they consider the direction - or redirection - they take, helping to make more informed career decisions, and resulting in higher career satisfaction and success. Your participation will require a total of 30 to 40 minutes of your time, yet your contribution to our students will be invaluable, and the impact may last a lifetime for thousands of members of the next generation workforce. Think of this as a 40-minute mentoring session for hundreds of thousands of young people! Thank you for considering becoming involved in this valuable resource to them.

When you decide to add your career story to our library of profiles, two equally important steps are necessary for you to complete:

The first step is to complete an interview regarding your current position. This would be conducted verbally over the phone, or could be written and sent to me via email. I will ask you several questions that will help students and adults understand what a career such as yours is like, and relate to someone who is currently filling that role. Your responses will be available to students to read as they begin the process of career exploration. Please be assured you will remain completely anonymous, as we will not use your name, gender reference, location, and any other identifying details in any published material and your contact information remains strictly confidential.

The second step is for you to complete the Kuder® Career Search with Person Match online assessment, which may take approximately 10-20 minutes. This is the identical online, 56 multiple choice question assessment tool that is taken by junior high and high school students throughout the nation. When the Interest Assessment responses of a student are very similar to the Interest Assessment responses you provide, your interview responses are prompted to the student. The student will then be able to read your interview responses, to help determine if yours is a career he or she would like to explore further.

Thank you again for considering adding your career story to our library. I look forward to learning about you and your profession, and sharing this potential opportunity with thousands of students across the United States, as they prepare to join us in the challenges we have before us.

Please call me with any questions or concerns you may have, or to schedule your interview appointment.

Respectfully yours,

Kathryn A. Kinley
Research Coordinator
kinleyk@kuder.com

Kuder
302 Visions Pkwy
Adel, IA 50003
800-314-8972
515.993.5412 fax

Outcomes