4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2018 11:55 AM by ömür tokman

Inserting a hole using the hole wizard onto a cylindrical surface

Andrew Bjonnes

Hi All,

I am new to SolidWorks and I am modelling a part where I need to insert a counter bored tapped hole onto a cylindrical surface but I want to define the end point of the hole.  I can create the hole using the hole wizard no problem but whenever I position the hole it is always pointing to the centre of the part.  I need the hole to break into a slot but don't know how to define it properly.

Thanks

• Re: Inserting a hole using the hole wizard onto a cylindrical surface
          Glenn Schroeder

If there's not already one then you'll need to create a plane or surface perpendicular to the desired hole axis.  Pre-select this plane when opening the Hole Wizard function, and then the sketch point will be placed on this plane instead of the surface of the cylinder.

J. Mather

Attach your *.sldprt file here if you have trouble figuring it out.

John Stoltzfus

What you need to do is create a plane at the correct angle, this plane needs to be tangent to the face of the cylinder and could be parallel with any of the new planes. 

For example let's say that your hole is in the center of the cylinder but needs to be 10 degrees off the right plane and let's suppose that the Top Plane is centered in the Cylinder.  There are two ways to insert a plane, one is to add a new Axis and then select the Axis and the Right Plane and insert the new plane at the right angle, then that will insert a plane right in the center of the cylinder, but it will be 10 degrees from the Right Plane, then you need to select the Right Plane and add a new plane by selecting the Right Plane and the Cylinder and select the parallel and tangent option..

My prefered way would be to insert a sketch in the Top Plane add a line that is 10 degrees from the Right Plane and draw the line from the center point of the cylinder to the outside edge, close the sketch, then Select the Line and the outer end point to insert a Plane at the line end point which would be tangent to the cylinder wall. 

That is where you sketch your Hole Wizard sketch point..

ömür tokman

Edit:

I have not seen other answers. Sorry(Glenn , john)

the other answers make more sense if you open a straight hole.

---------------------------------------------------

I did not need it at all.

I do not have this feature as far as I know.

alternative drawings.

alternative drawings for ideas.

by sketch / cut revolve

2018-07-19_18-22-17.png

2018-07-19_18-22-45.png

by creating a plane. hole winzard.

2018-07-19_18-40-37.png