4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2018 5:29 PM by Damir Galic

Universal Texture Scaling?

James McKie

Hi, I've been using Visualize for a while now, as my models get more complex, with more parts that need to be textured I'm running into problems setting the scale of the textures.

The main issue, I was wondering if there's a way to set a global texture scale. So every part in a model that has the same texture applied will have the same scale.

At the moment, when I apply a texture and it maps itself, it seems to be based on part size - smaller parts will have a smaller map, larger parts will have larger maps. Meaning I have to go through every part and set the scale. Awkward, if I'm applying a paint or wood textures to nearly 80 bodies

Thanks

• Re: Universal Texture Scaling?
          Rob Rodríguez

Just to add to this a bit.  Lots of materials have a "true" scale in the real world.  A brick is always 8" x 4" x 2"., concrete block is always 16" x 8" x 8".  1/4 x 1/4 metal mesh is always 1/4 x 1/4.  A moldtech plastic always has the same size texture/pattern.  I can give more examples but I think you get the idea.  So, materials that have a "true" scale (meaning no matter what amount of area is covered by them they are always the same size) should be applied at that scale in my opinion.  A brick appearance should never scale to match geometry size.  It should remain a constant scale and fill the geometry.  You should have the ability to adjust the scale if you want but on application it should hold a pre-determined scale.

This was / is an issue in PV360 but he check box to not scale textures does help with this.  Other rendering software does allow users to keep materials a constant scale when applying them.

Damir Galic

Same here. Option to set scale of all textures to 1 in all directions would be awesome.

The point is you should be able to set a "size" of an appearance. I don't rally get it why is there a scale option for textures and some imported stuff has different scale for each part. Visualize should generate more appearances if textures have different size, not scale.

Damir Galic

Actually maybe there should be an option to set scale of all textures on all parts AND scale of all parts with specific texture.