AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assembly of Stamping Tool Design; How do I reuse some of the 1st tool to design a secondary tool?

Question asked by Robert Adkins on Jul 17, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 by Michael Fernando

I designed the first hit tooling in Solidworks and generally on a part like this, I take the initial hit tooling and carve out a section of the tool to modify, in order to produce the second tooling.

In the attached example, the first stamping will produce a LH and RH part, these are cut apart and then moved to a secondary operation. (I will NOT be showing the parts or measurable elements.)

Op1andOp2_Tools.png

I'm still rather new at Solidworks, so what I did was produce the primary stamping design in SW and then I exported it into my old, less robust in many ways, CAD system and worked through the secondary operation.

What I need to know is an easy way to copy/move my tool so that I can produce a the secondary tooling with the least headaches in development.

I looked at creating a linear pattern with the components in my assembly, the die, punch and the customer supplied data, but changes I make to that, would alter the "original" and I need to avoid that. I'm not well versed in configurations, so maybe, there is something in configurations that I setup?

Another idea that I had is to create a new part in the assembly, use a 0.00mm surface offset. Move that new part over, split the reference to the original, modify that to suit, create my new solid and finish my tooling design.

What I would also like to know is, is there a way to maintain some link between the two, for example if the part's main body is altered down the road and I need to modify the original stamping design, will is be possible to propagate some of the changes over to the secondary tool or not.

Thanks for any input!

Outcomes