7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 3:24 PM by Alberto Grasso

SW crashes every time I draw my first line.

Alberto Grasso

Hello everyone,

I started to use SolidWorks2016* today, and I have this simple issue: as I click to draw my first sketch line, circle, point... the software crashes, every time.

(* 30-days free trial version)

I already activated Rx/System manteinance, then cleaned up, optimized and errors-checked my Local Disk, and restarted of course. But it still doesn't work.

Here are my system properties:

System properties.PNG

And here my display card properties:

Display Card.PNG

Furthermore, here attached is a small clip of what happens.

I hope I've been exhaustive enough to make you help me to work this problem out. If you need more details, please tell me.

Thank you very much !

Alberto

• Re: SW crashes every time I draw my first line.
          Steve Crompton

There is a possibility it is to do with your graphics card. Check with your VAR.

Steve

Dave Bear

Hi Alberto,

In addition to what Steve said, one thing I noticed straight away is the fact you are using Windows Home Edition which is NOT supported by SolidWorks.

Read item #7 at the bottom of this link https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

Dave.

Alberto Grasso

Thanks both for the answer.

----------------------------------------

Steve Crompton I have no VAR, since I didn't purchased SW but I'm using the 30-days free trial version. Anyway, I found this webpage for checking compatibility of my Graphics Card with the software.

compatibility.PNG

Do you think it's enough or I need to check further in other ways? Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------

Dave Bear yeah, but in this case, I guess SW mustn't have been even installed or at least opened (as I read from other topics about the same issue), whereas I can even open a new file. Anyway, I then tried to open it in different compatibility modes (Win 8, Win 7), without any solution. It appears "Failed to initialize Visual Basic for Apps, equations and macros will not work".

Do you know any effective way to bypass this incompatibility?

-------------------------------------------------

Alberto.

Steve Crompton

Perhaps temporarily try a different graphics driver? I've had it in the past where even having the recommended driver its caused problems.

Just a thought.

Steve

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Alberto,

The P630 is a different card than the 620 so I don't believe your card is supported and this is likely where the problem lies. I believe the only supported Intel cards have the "P" before them which designates a workstation/CAD class graphics card.

If you run SOLIDWORKS Rx from the start menu and go to the diagnostics tab, it will tell you if it is compatible or not, usually saying there is no information about the card configuration in the database if it is not.

If you go to the Home tab (first tab) of SOLIDWORKS Rx, you can choose the first safe mode at the bottom for Software OpenGL. This will bypass the graphics card and run all the graphics on the computer (CPU) rather than the graphics card (GPU). This will help troubleshoot if the problem is due to your graphics card/driver. If the software runs OK in that safe mode, then startup SOLIDWORKS normally and immediately go to Tools, Options, System Options, Performance and check the option "Use software OpenGL". This option will run in software OpenGL mode just like the safe mode, but permanently. It runs slower than running on a support GPU, but it often overcomes any critical problems caused by an unsupported GPU.

Thanks,

Jim

Paul Salvador

Hello Alberto,.. if you do a search on this forum... recently, there are similar problems with the intel "620"... it seems to be related to a Windows Upgrade and the Driver?...  I do not have a answer since the posters do not respond back or specify exactly how they fixed the issue?

Rolling back to system or using a older driver may work??

Otherwise.. as noted,.. using OpenGL software mode is the workaround.

Alberto Grasso

Thanks to everyone!

Actually I misread the properties of my graphics card it's not a P630, but a 620 that obviously doesn't appear on that list.

At any rate, I used the OpenGL software mode as suggested by Jim Wilkinson and it works. For me it's enough, at least for the moment, since I need SW just for one drawing.

Alberto.