AnsweredAssumed Answered

ROLAND / ALESIS PLASTIC TUBE FRAME TEE CLAMPS, TELESCOPING CLAMPS POSSIBLE??

Question asked by Joseph Amodeo on Jul 13, 2018

Hi all,

First of all, here's some backstory to the project...

I've been playing electronic drums for a long time and started out with a small Roland HD-3 kit (see below), their smallest model, built like a tank, quality drum pads, good drum brain, and gained many cherished memories and incorrect playing habits (lol) on this small electronic kit. Recently I began building my own custom acoustic drum set from individual parts with a very unique rolling frame on casters. I basically gave up and decided electronic drums are my favorite after all, but as a result, I had become a master of all of the standard hardware and common parts, tube diameters in the industry, master of taking apart and restoring acoustic drums etc.

roland.jpg

As a working musician, I've always found that there's really nothing on the market that suits my needs. There was one Roland portable electronic drum kit on the market that folds up into the size of an above average backpack, and can be taken in a carrying case to gigs, and unfolds to about the same size as the non-folding kit I already had been playing. Ultimately I bought this foldable drum frame and immediately had to sell it at a loss because I found that when unfolded it was nothing like the non-folding kit I already had (of the same size when unfolded) everything was horribly placed, unable to be adjusted, cymbals could not even be tightened or loosened (had no wingnut knob like every other friggin Roland kit. instead just a loose rivet) ... and I started to see clear design flaws that would have allowed it to fold up even smaller. Also I had avoided buying a similar type of thing from off-brand websites but I went with the Roland one assuming it would be the high quality they are known for... turns out this was probably their "lets make this the one kit that isn't sturdy" model. Also, I didn't really like the drum samples and sounds on the drum brain.

roland-td-4kp-electronic-drums-digital-drums-.jpg

It was here that I set out to create my own CUSTOM PORTABLE DRUM FRAME that can be folded up into a backpack size (or more accurately convert the HD-3 (first image) I already owned) the way I would do this is to make the two center vertical poles TELESCOPING, with 1.5" to 1 3/8" telescoping clamps, then I would rotate the horizontal arms so that the drums could be swung in and overlap each other... long story but it works AWESOME...

Also, the HD-3 is discontinued so if I wanted to mass produce it for all of my musician friends, I would either have to buy the tube fittings etc from eBay, or model the plastic parts to have them made from scratch... along with modeling the extra modifications that did not come with it...

And  I wanted to model the assembly in a solid modeling program, but after looking at the internet, I found that theres basically NOTHING in terms of CAD files for the plastic TEE's etc from Roland, Alesis, or any other company...

The plastic TEEs that hold the drum frame should fit the 1.5inch (standard size) vertical round tubes... as well as the 1 inch horizontal tubes that the drums clamp onto.... these plastic tees actually have wing nuts that tighten the couplers around the tube framing... HOW IS THIS DONE IN SOLIDWORKS?

I assume that the plastic tee would start off a little bit bigger than the metal tube diameter... and when tightened, reach a diameter smaller than the metal tube diameter... otherwise the tube would easily slide out...

Same goes for the telescoping tube clamp, it has two little sleeves that tighten with a flange, if I wanted to have my own made, how the heck would I model something like that? and even more importantly how would I constrain it in an assembly to the metal tube that is inserted inside of it, if it's not inherently the same diameter until it is tightened?

it seems extremely strange to me that I haven't been able to find these plastic clamps on Alibaba as off-brand items... or just generally be able to find any spec sheets/ cad drawings, information for them WHATSOEVER etc... NOT EVEN A HOW ITS MADE ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL LOL.... seems like a very secretive proprietary design.... there seems to be no real way to contact Roland, and I would also be interested in sharing my design with them because I know many people that would line up to buy it.. I've already had a company that makes telescoping tube plastic clamps give me some cad drawings and isometric views... I ended up not using their clamp product so would still need to model the one i used...

sorry for the long story but it seems only fair to include others in on my amazing journey (haha).

and also beyond just how to model these parts....  I'm really curious if anyone has encountered this problem and may have modeled roland parts themselves, or has any affiliation to the company and would be willing to provide me some spec sheets, solid models, etc.

Appreciate the help!

-Joe

Outcomes