31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2019 9:09 AM by Alin Vargatu

    Are you using 3D Interconnect?

    Matt Lombard

      3D Interconnect looks like the old Edit Feature for an imported feature spruced up with a little automation.

      Is anyone using this aside from demo jocks?

        • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
          Dan Pihlaja

          Nope.....I have no use for it.  About the only advantage that I can see for it is that it will automatically update the imported part if the original part were changed.  However, this would only be valuable to us if we originally created the file AND we had seats of the original part's CAD package.  Which we don't.

           

          The STP and IGS files that we get from the customer: if we get an updated part, then the old and new parts are completely separate parts.

           

          Maybe there is something in 3Dinterconnect that would be useful for me/us....but on the surface, it doesn't look like it.

          • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
            Wayne Schafer

            Our mother company uses CATA and we take their models and open them direct in to Solidworks through the 3D interconnect function.

            We use it daily and it seems to be working for us.

            • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
              Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

              Nop I import it and break the links to the imported them fix any issue and make my Sldprt or SldAsm fixed

              • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                Walter Fetsch

                I'm looking for a way to disable it.  I have yet to find a benefit and the every time I encounter it, there is a new problem.

                • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                  Alin Vargatu

                  It uses a completely different routine for reading the STEP/IGES files that the traditional import.

                   

                  I can demonstrate that on a part that has topological errors which cannot be solved, regardless of what you do, when imported from STEP using the traditional routine. If imported via 3DInterconnect and then converted to SW (yes, you can convert a 3DInterconnect object to traditional imported features), the topological error can be solved with ease.

                   

                  Unfortunately, I cannot share the model, due to IP.

                   

                  And this is only for the new functionality for reading neutral files in 2018.

                   

                  When we talk about reading native files, 3DInterconnect is in a different league from the traditional approach. I can work almost seamlessly with an Inventor, CREO or Solid Edge user, on the same project, in parallel. As he or she changes his files, my SW assembly containing his components, updates automatically, without loss of mates, properties and other important data.

                    • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                      John Stoltzfus

                      Alin Vargatu  wrote:

                       

                       

                      Unfortunately, I cannot share the model, due to IP.

                      Is that worse than keeping us in suspense......

                        • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                          Alin Vargatu

                          John Stoltzfus wrote:

                           

                          Alin Vargatu wrote:

                           

                           

                          Unfortunately, I cannot share the model, due to IP.

                          Is that worse than keeping us in suspense......

                          You have no idea how much I would like to demonstrate this. It can be a topic for a SWPUC...

                           

                          If I find another example, OK for public domain, I will share.

                           

                          Bottom line, in my opinion, 3DInterconnect is not only for "demo jocks", but for real-life applications.

                            • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                              John Stoltzfus

                              I know that Alin - just had to jerk your chain a little

                              • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                Dennis Dohogne

                                Alin Vargatu wrote:

                                 

                                I can demonstrate that on a part that has topological errors which cannot be solved, regardless of what you do, when imported from STEP using the traditional routine. If imported via 3DInterconnect and then converted to SW (yes, you can convert a 3DInterconnect object to traditional imported features), the topological error can be solved with ease.

                                 

                                Unfortunately, I cannot share the model, due to IP.

                                John Stoltzfus wrote:

                                 

                                Alin Vargatu wrote:

                                 

                                 

                                Unfortunately, I cannot share the model, due to IP.

                                Is that worse than keeping us in suspense......

                                You have no idea how much I would like to demonstrate this. It can be a topic for a SWPUC...

                                 

                                If I find another example, OK for public domain, I will share.

                                 

                                Bottom line, in my opinion, 3DInterconnect is not only for "demo jocks", but for real-life applications.

                                Alin, how about making a dummy sample file so that you can show us?  Please.

                                  • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                    Alin Vargatu

                                    Dennis Dohogne wrote:

                                     

                                    Alin Vargatu wrote:

                                    I can demonstrate that on a part that has topological errors which cannot be solved, regardless of what you do, when imported from STEP using the traditional routine. If imported via 3DInterconnect and then converted to SW (yes, you can convert a 3DInterconnect object to traditional imported features), the topological error can be solved with ease.

                                    Unfortunately, I cannot share the model, due to IP.

                                    Alin, how about making a dummy sample file so that you can show us? Please.

                                    I do not know how to recreate the problem.

                              • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                Matt Lombard

                                Alin Vargatu

                                I wanted to see what the public discussion on this amounted to.

                                I get the feeling that 3DI reads body information from the native files. The example with the error in the face only would happen if the native file had an error, a very unlikely situation, although I get that it's a lot more likely regardless of the neutral format.

                                 

                                As far as the "associativity", that's kind of bogus, because we've always been able to do the "edit feature" thing on an imported body.

                                 

                                It just gives the impression of a parlor trick that has maybe one potential actual advantage (reading body data from CATIA files).

                                  • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                    Alin Vargatu

                                    Matt Lombard wrote:

                                     

                                    Alin Vargatu

                                    I wanted to see what the public discussion on this amounted to.

                                    I get the feeling that 3DI reads body information from the native files. The example with the error in the face only would happen if the native file had an error, a very unlikely situation, although I get that it's a lot more likely regardless of the neutral format.

                                     

                                    As far as the "associativity", that's kind of bogus, because we've always been able to do the "edit feature" thing on an imported body.

                                     

                                    It just gives the impression of a parlor trick that has maybe one potential actual advantage (reading body data from CATIA files).

                                    You think about importing parts. Think about importing assemblies and maintaining version control in the native file.

                                    Try to import an Inventor assembly in SW, without having Inventor installed on the same machine. Will not work.

                                     

                                    Even importing parts (native or neutral) works differently in 3DI compared to full conversion. You will see a difference in the import speed also.

                                     

                                    Let's see how many negative comments will read in this thread from users who tried 3DI and failed.

                                • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                  Scott Boerman

                                  I do use interconnect at times, but not for the presumably intended use.  (There is no conceivable value to me to keep connected to the neutral format file) 

                                  However, there are time when importing files that they import differently with interconnect turned on or turned off.  In at least one case, the import fails or is incomplete with interconnect turned off, but the import is successful with interconnect on.  And vice-versa unfortunately, so this adds yet another variable to manage when importing files, which is already a productivity killer.   Now importing trials (for cases where the files do not come in cleanly at first pass) are more time consuming than before interconnect existed.

                                  • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                    Greg Welch

                                    I've used it a few times for files that I know I'm not going to need to alter in any way, like a pneumatic valve.  However, I just discovered that they don't Pack-and-Go really well.  Once you do it to an assembly containing a 3D Interconnect part, SolidWorks can't find the part in the original assembly until you close it and reopen it.  It's not a crisis, just one more SW nuisance.

                                    • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                      Alin Vargatu

                                      Update: I should go see a doctor! I have not noticed that I already responded to the original post.

                                      Hope that is OK not to delete this message, even though the info is mostly duplicated.

                                       

                                      Matt Lombard wrote:

                                       

                                      3D Interconnect looks like the old Edit Feature for an imported feature spruced up with a little automation.

                                      Is anyone using this aside from demo jocks?

                                      I disagree. One thing that I discovered, is that 3D Interconnect uses a completely different algorithm for translating the data.

                                       

                                      Even if you want a SOLIDWORKS file in the end, the results are, in general, much better than the traditional import.

                                       

                                      In several occasions I applied this process, when a straight-forward import failed:

                                      1. Open the STP file with 3D Interconnect

                                      2. RMB on imported feature and select Dissolve Feature

                                      The end result was a part with geometry that was imported fast and with less (or none) topological errors than the traditional import.

                                      • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                        John Lhuillier

                                        No not using it. In 2019 if the model that was used as the import is not found then doing a file save as of new part if its in an assembly will not save. Says that it can't find the base model & stops. So it's no use to us.

                                          • Re: Are you using 3D Interconnect?
                                            Alin Vargatu

                                            John Lhuillier wrote:

                                             

                                            No not using it. In 2019 if the model that was used as the import is not found then doing a file save as of new part if its in an assembly will not save. Says that it can't find the base model & stops. So it's no use to us.

                                            You could attempt to convert the 3DI feature into Imported Geometry. See if it works with orphaned features.