6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 7:47 AM by Adam Thickett

SW Assembly parts are suppressed when I open them in Composer

Adam Thickett

When I open a SW Assembly in composer all the parts are suppressed and it won't let me unsuppressed them.  When the assembly is opened in SW it is all resolved, this is a problem for historic assemblies as well as the ones I'm working on.  Any models that are current saved in composer work fine it only is affecting newly opened assemblies.

I presume that this is a settings issue somewhere, or at least I hope it is.

Thanks in advance

Adam

• Re: SW Assembly parts are suppressed when I open them in Composer
          Dirk Rautenberg

may be that this is a Setting issue. Is it possible to post a screendump from structure or part of structure totally expanded.

and also a screendump from your Import Settings.

Describe how you create the Composer file? Do you open from Composer? Or do you save as .smg from solidowrks?

Adam Thickett

Thanks for your response Dirk,

You can see on the assembly tab that the components that haven’t pulled though are still showing as parts.  I have tried opening in composer, and also saving as a .smg straight from Solidworks….both have the same result.

Composer Error.jpg

These are the import options that I have used, I have changed these and tried the below options.

- Tried the Solidworks default

- Tried selecting 'open' instead of 'merge into a new document'

- Unticked 'merge files into one actor per part'

Import Options.jpg

I hope this helps gives you a good idea of the issues I'm having, thanks for you help.

Adam

Dirk Rautenberg

As far as i can see, you have structure Infos but no geometry.

May be this are no volume Bodys!

Try to import the geometry by setting the Option "Import free faces"

Deactive "Import hidden components"

if the geometry is not a body but face the option "import free faces" will import them!

Adam Thickett

Hey,

I have now solved this issue, thanks Dirk for your input as it put me onto the right line of investigation.

Solidworks was set to open this size assembly as 'large assembly mode' and so was opening some items lightweight, this matched exactly the parts that weren't being recognised as actors within Composer.  Once 'large assembly' mode was disabled within Solidworks options then it all worked fine.

It is a bit of a pain having to change the Solidworks options every time I want to import something into Composer though.  We use lots of large assemblies and so it is useful for me to have this option selected by default.  Do you know if there is an option in Composer to select the mode the assembly is opened in?  When I open it directly in Solidworks I can select with a drop down box and so I would have thought this can be used by Composer.

Capture.JPG