10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 9:18 PM by Dennis Dohogne

When will ideas be open for submitting again?

M. D.

I remember last year trying to submit an idea but being past the due date.  I'm not even going to ask why Solidworks likes to limit ideas to the minimum amount possible by severely restricting the dates people can submit them, but when is the next date they will be opened up again?  Also does anyone have a link that will take you there when it goes live?

• Re: When will ideas be open for submitting again?
          Glenn Schroeder

I can't find anything with the specific dates, but if I remember right submission opens in early to mid October and lasts into January.  I wouldn't call that "severely restricting the dates people can submit them".

M. D.

I remember I tried mid January.  I would say 2.5 months out of the year is a severe restriction .  Just seems proof that Solidworks isn't really in the business of improving.

Glenn Schroeder

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

I remember I tried mid January. I would say 2.5 months out of the year is a severe restriction . Just seems proof that Solidworks isn't really in the business of improving.

As Dan Pihlaja indicated, those submissions are only for the top ten to be submitted at SW World.  You can submit an enhancement request any time, so I stand by my statement that there is ample time allowed for the Idea submission, but if you're bound and determined to be upset go right ahead.

Rick McDonald

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

I remember I tried mid January. I would say 2.5 months out of the year is a severe restriction . Just seems proof that Solidworks isn't really in the business of improving.

From what I remember, The top ten is cut off for submitting early enough to allow some time for voting.

Then voting is cut off about a month prior to SolidWorksWorld (early February) - this is probably so they can compile the information and get everything setup for the top ten presentation in the SolidWorksWorld morning session.

I imagine there is a fair amount of planning and organizing and getting the people who are the ones who made the top ten suggestions prepared (if they will be on stage)...

If you have an idea before the submission period starts you can always write it down (in a document on your computer) and then when the submission period opens you can cut and past it into the proper online form and submit it. 

I can see some reasons for holding the submissions until the end of the year :

Around October each year is when the new version of SW will come out, so if you submit suggestions now (July) you would be referencing version 2018 software, which will become (Potentially) obsolete when the new version is released.

If some of the ideas were submitted early, they may already be in the next release.

It makes more sense to wait for the new release and see what is missing or different than you would like to see and then you would be making suggestions that pertain to current software that is being used at the SolidWorksWorld presentation that year.

John Stoltzfus

Did you just stub a toe..

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

seems proof that Solidworks isn't really in the business of improving.

There is a huge - Rather - HUGE difference from my 2014 to 2018 copy  - plus this is their system and they are free to do it upright or sideways....

Dan Pihlaja

That is specifically for the Top 10....which we found out does not necessarily result in an enhancement request.

If you want to submit an enhancement request:

1) Log into your Solidworks Customer Portal and click on Enhancement Requests:

2) Search for your idea first to see if it has already been submitted.  If it hasn't, then click to create a new one:

3) Then fill in your information and submit it.:

Once you get a response with an SPR number, you can then post that SPR number here on the forums to get people to vote for it.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I can't remember the exact dates either, but if you were blocked out in January, then that's probably about the time voting takes place.

Once the polls open and we can cast our ballots, that's when idea submission ends.

As a suggestion, if, at any time, you get a Top Ten idea notion, create an Outlook calendar appointment set around the dates Mr. Schroeder supplied. Add the particulars, turn on the reminder and forget about it until it pops up.

If you think of further details, edit the appointment to have the data ready for the appointed time.

Or if you later learn your idea is already implemented, you can delete your appointment.

This happened to me last year (during voting, so I couldn't delete the idea), but Mr. Pihlaja shared some of his wisdom with me (1 occasion of many), schooling me on how to use a particular feature that my idea referenced. And about two weeks later, I was able to pass this knowledge along in another post, helping someone else with their SW woes.

(Mr. Schroeder can also attest to the corrections he's had to make to my SW tiller, as well.)

There are plenty of Top Ten notices here on the forum, including the Top Ten page link right on the forum home page.

With the Jive engine, the last edited is put at the top of the forum home page. And ideas have their color and icon, so it's fairly easy to distinguish them from the other posts.

So when you start seeing ideas posted...ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding.

By the by, a lot of the Top Ten notices are from the forumites, but some of these notices are made by actual SW people...yes, the same people you seem to prefer to repeatedly whizz on like a knockoff Calvin decal on the rear window of some pickup truck.

SW people actively work the idea submissions during the input period, too.

Last year, I was contacted by an SW employee on one of my ideas.

He was asking for clarification on my blather because, as it turned out, the gist of my idea was already implemented in SW2018 (I was on SW2017 at the time).

He sent two messages to me to make sure that he understood that what I had submitted matched what was already implemented.

Once we were in agreement, he marked the idea as implemented. It stayed on the list, but it wasn't eligible to be voted on.

There's a lot of fine people here helping each other, some of whom you will see and many other who you won't.

And the wisdom and kindness that's unconditionally shared here is shared for all, regardless if you come across as a George Soros funded malcontent or not.

Cheers,

Kevin

Dennis Dohogne

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Hello,

I can't remember the exact dates either, but if you were blocked out in January, then that's probably about the time voting takes place.

Once the polls open and we can cast our ballots, that's when idea submission ends.

As a suggestion, if, at any time, you get a Top Ten idea notion, create an Outlook calendar appointment set around the dates Mr. Schroeder supplied. Add the particulars, turn on the reminder and forget about it until it pops up.

If you think of further details, edit the appointment to have the data ready for the appointed time.

Or if you later learn your idea is already implemented, you can delete your appointment.

This happened to me last year (during voting, so I couldn't delete the idea), but Mr. Pihlaja shared some of his wisdom with me (1 occasion of many), schooling me on how to use a particular feature that my idea referenced. And about two weeks later, I was able to pass this knowledge along in another post, helping someone else with their SW woes.

(Mr. Schroeder can also attest to the corrections he's had to make to my SW tiller, as well.)

There are plenty of Top Ten notices here on the forum, including the Top Ten page link right on the forum home page.

With the Jive engine, the last edited is put at the top of the forum home page. And ideas have their color and icon, so it's fairly easy to distinguish them from the other posts.

So when you start seeing ideas posted...ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding.

By the by, a lot of the Top Ten notices are from the forumites, but some of these notices are made by actual SW people...yes, the same people you seem to prefer to repeatedly whizz on like a knockoff Calvin decal on the rear window of some pickup truck.

SW people actively work the idea submissions during the input period, too.

Last year, I was contacted by an SW employee on one of my ideas.

He was asking for clarification on my blather because, as it turned out, the gist of my idea was already implemented in SW2018 (I was on SW2017 at the time).

He sent two messages to me to make sure that he understood that what I had submitted matched what was already implemented.

Once we were in agreement, he marked the idea as implemented. It stayed on the list, but it wasn't eligible to be voted on.

There's a lot of fine people here helping each other, some of whom you will see and many other who you won't.

And the wisdom and kindness that's unconditionally shared here is shared for all, regardless if you come across as a George Soros funded malcontent or not.

Cheers,

Kevin

Well said, Kevin!

Dennis Dohogne

The Top Ten List generates wonderful discussion to help refine/define the ideas.  This is the best thing about it in my opinion.  But it is temporary to use and see, which is almost a crime in my book.

The Enhancement Request system is available year-round.  That's about as much good as I can say for it!  It is very cumbersome to navigate so many folks don't bother.  Similar ideas are still separate instead of being grouped together and researching the ER system is too frustrating.

I have been leading the criticism about these issues and SWX has been listening.  They are doing a major overhaul of the ER system.  The release is TBD, but I was involved in a demo and they are making great strides.

For now you should use the ER system.  Even if you submit something for the Top Ten if your goal is to get the idea into the software then you should also submit it as an ER.  If your goal is only to see your idea voted up for the Top Ten for your own ego boost then you can just list your ideas there.