16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 1:32 PM by Tony Tieuli

Why is my heads up toolbar AWOL?

Tony Tieuli

Hi Forum,

My heads up toolbar has gone AWOL.

heads up.png

I have the toolbar enabled but it isn't visible.

Has anyone seen this before?

• Re: Why is my heads up toolbar AWOL?
          David Matula

do you have dual monitors?

mine only shows on the sheet that I have clicked in and am working in.

could another window be open and active?

David Nelson

When this happens to me I just run the copy setting wizard and get it right back.  It happens to me from time to time.  Like Solidworks does not think you need it so takes it away.

Dan Pihlaja

I notice that you have something going on here that I don't recognize (might be an add in or something similar?):

What happens when you select on of the other tabs in your feature manager area?  Does the heads up toolbar come back?

Tony Tieuli

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

I notice that you have something going on here that I don't recognize (might be an add in or something similar?):

What happens when you select on of the other tabs in your feature manager area? Does the heads up toolbar come back?

Hi Dan,

That's MasterCam for Solidworks you see there.

This whole problem started there. Yesterday morning all the icons under that tab decided to leave me. When I ran Save/Restore settings, none of the MasterCam icons came back. When I manually put them back, some of the MasterCam flyout menus had the wrong icons i.e. 5 axis toolpaths under the point and circle toolpath flyout.

I had my MasterCam VAR get on a Goto Assist call and he was able to go into the registry, delete a key and that restored my MasterCam Icons but messed up my Solidworks icons. So I'm thinking, that's OK. I saved my Solidworks settings like a good boy, I'll just restore them!

The only problem is, when I restore my Solidworks settings the MasterCam icons are right back where I started yesterday morning.

It's a vicious circle. Delete the key and get the MasterCam icons back, restore the Solidworks settings and lose the MasterCam icons.

So I've spent most of the morning manually customizing my Solidworks settings back to where I had them. The only thing I can't seem to get back is the Heads Up toolbar.

My next step is the call my SWX VAR but I thought I'd try here first.

Clicking on any of the other tabs in the feature manager makes no difference. Still no heads up toolbar.

Benjamin Modic

Hey Tony,

Have you tried enabling the toolbar from the Tools > Customize menu? It sounds like it may be time to start fresh with your settings. That is, resetting your registry and building these menus again without loading in the settings through the wizard. You could also try loading settings from one of your coworkers.

Resetting the SOLIDWORKS registry

~Ben

Tony Tieuli

Benjamin Modic wrote:

Hey Tony,

Have you tried enabling the toolbar from the Tools > Customize menu? It sounds like it may be time to start fresh with your settings. That is, resetting your registry and building these menus again without loading in the settings through the wizard. You could also try loading settings from one of your coworkers.

Resetting the SOLIDWORKS registry

~Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes, I have the toolbar enabled there as well.

Unfortunately I'm the only SWX user here so, no co-workers to "steal" from.

I've actually tried to get the two VAR's to conference in the past. They avoid it like the plague. At least mine do.

Benjamin Modic

Tony,

You can check your registry and try enabling these keys manually. Seems to be some disconnect here...

The heads up menu is controlled by the following 2 keys found under:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks\SOLIDWORKS 20XX\User Interface\ViewTools]

"Part Tools Visibility" for Parts\Assemblies

“Draw Tools Visibility”  for Drawings

The values determining if the toolbar is enabled or not are as follows:

1 = enabled

0 = disabled

~Ben

Tony Tieuli

Benjamin Modic wrote:

Tony,

You can check your registry and try enabling these keys manually. Seems to be some disconnect here...

The heads up menu is controlled by the following 2 keys found under:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks\SOLIDWORKS 20XX\User Interface\ViewTools]

"Part Tools Visibility" for Parts\Assemblies

“Draw Tools Visibility” for Drawings

The values determining if the toolbar is enabled or not are as follows:

1 = enabled

0 = disabled

~Ben

Ben,

I'm sure you've hit on the problem.

In the key for SWX 2018 there is no ViewTools under User Interface.

It is there under SWX 2017.

I was trying to copy from 2017 to 2018 but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it.

Walter Fetsch

Are you running an approved graphics card?

David Matula

darn menu settings this is worse than that darn ruler showing up in drawings when you don't want it. 

good luck .