2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 3:25 PM by Daen Hendrickson

I need the same part labeled with many different alpha-numerical names...

Daniel Guarino

If that title wasn't confusing enough for you, here is the more detailed version.

I attached a picture of my part. I need this duplicated about 200 times unfortunately each part needs to be labeled A-1, A-2, A-3, B-1, B-2, B-3, and so on..

What is the most efficient way to go about this?

Thank you,

Capture.JPGD

• Re: I need the same part labeled with many different alpha-numerical names...
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I'll suggest using a design table with each configuration having unique value for the custom property that will be the indicated text.

You can also use Excel formulas (in columns outboard of the DT's region to compute the text based on an sequential index number.

I replied awhile back on something similar to this with an attached part & DT.

I will have to rummage the forum to see if I can find a link for you.

Cheers,

Kevin

EDIT: Go here:

Design Table and Location of a Dimension

I misinterpreted the original post's issue, so my blather didn't apply there, but I think it may help with your issue.

EDIT II: By "outboard", I mean a blank column in the DT on the right so you can do some Excel logic to get your text and then in the DT region, link the property's cell to the computed text cell of the same row.

• Re: I need the same part labeled with many different alpha-numerical names...
            Daen Hendrickson

Daniel,

An alternative is to NOT model the differing text at all and shift this to either the CAM software or the CNC Controller. Your SoldWorks model and / drawing would show an example text and call out size, font, location, and other specifics. But many CAM software packages provide a means for incrementing  alpha numerics. And if your CAM software does not, then most CNC controllers have an incrementing function.

Daen