12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 2:04 PM by Barry Marvin

Wraping Flat Pattern

Barry Marvin

I am new to the group and not sure if posting this in the correct location but here goes, we are using SW 2018 and was wondering if there Is any way to wrap the flat pattern around the contoured part? I just need it to wrap down the sides. Not on the (what I'm calling) the back.

Thanks!!

• Re: Wraping Flat Pattern
          Dennis Bacon

Are you thinking of something like this Barry?.. Done with a wrap on the solid then a thicken cut to remove the "back" area.

You can't actually wrap the solid grid around your body but you can do an emboss with a sketch.

Barry Marvin

Hi Dennis, Yes that is exactly what I'm looking for except if you have skipped the top.  As a new member I don't want to request something not aloud but if I attach the actual SW file can you show me the same on it? That way I can actually follow it step by step? If not I totally understand. Thanks for helping me (us) out.

J. Mather

Barry Marvin wrote:

... As a new member I don't want to request something not aloud allowed but if I attach the actual SW file can you show me the same on it?

Everything here is permitted, ...except for pirating the software.  Don't say that aloud, ...or request a phone holder (inside joke).

It is always strongly recommended to attach the actual (*.sldprt) file here.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, the actual geometry might be worth a thousand pictures.

Barry Marvin

Hi again Dennis, I'm getting very close but have one more issue. All the sides on each pocket need to be drafted. Any ideas?

Thanks again!!

Dennis Bacon

Oh,,, Boy!!.. You should wait for some of the heavy hitters to weigh in on this. A couple of things that I used on this is a chamfer (with the face option, and a lofted cut.

I imagine you want the outside to be larger than the inside. I used the Offset On Surface for the larger area of the cut loft. Worked pretty slick. Think that may be the first time I have used it.

Also thought about somehow selecting all the inside edges in one go but was unable to. Then was going to use a ruled surface on all and then cut with surface.. All this is way too time consuming for me.. Like I said there are several people that I know of on this forum that will be salivating with this.. Give them a shot and see what they can come up with. Hmmm.. Maybe mold tools.. Could go on and on..

Barry Marvin

Actually the "chamfer" needs to go in the other direction to give us an under cut per say. After sending my last question I have slowly been getting closer to completion. That doesn't mean if somebody has a better quicker way of putting this chamfer in I wouldn't want to see it because if this works there will be more for me to design in the future.

Barry Marvin

How do I get this out to other members to see?

Dennis Bacon

You just did Barry by keeping it active.  There are 3 or 4 members that I would really like to see take a shot at this and I just might do that a little later.  I'm assuming that you are able to tackle this pocket by pocket but would like to see an easier, faster way. How many degrees in the drafts? From the base outwards correct?.

Barry Marvin

that is correct Dennis. I could / can do one at a time but if this works there will be more projects like this and I'd really like a way to pattern it or something like that. There are 2 right now and this one is the more difficult that's why I put it on here for you guys to see.

The draft we're looking for would around 5°.

Kenneth Barrentine

Using Sheetmetal Tools, you might be able to create a forming tool out of the solid body to emboss the perforated sheet.

Paul Salvador

..I'll bite (while Dennis is away)..

wrp 7.png