0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 7:17 AM by Gan Starling

Publish EDU-licensed designs on-line?

Gan Starling

I have the 2017-2018 Educational version obtained via military discount. I'd like to share my designs on-line for free, that is to say, ZIP up whole files (parts, assys, dwgs) and post the ZIP archives as free downloads for visitors to my wholly non-commercial website here: ky8d.net. Visit that link, and you will discover it to be my ham radio website, one of several domains I own, all non-commercial to such a degree that not a one is supported by any income whatever, not even advertising. For decades now, I have shared my Perl programs for free, even my translations of whole novels into the language Esperanto as e-books entirely for free. I'm wanting to do the same thing here. I'm working on an antenna support structure, one which is nothing like others available commercially, this in support (pun intended) of an antenna I've also designed, which plans will likewise be put in the public domain.

My end goal is firstly, to build the structure which I'm designing for my own private, wholly non-commercial use as amateur radio station KY8D. It will support an antenna of somewhat grandiose proportions: a end-fire array of two triple magnetic slot antennas for 10.125 MHz (aka the 30-meter band). Secondly (assuming successful performance) I'd like to write an article on it for publication. The article would be mainly about the antenna itself. The means of support would also need to be written about. Once written, I'd like to submit it for publication in the prestigious (dead tree format) magazine QST. Whatsoever token fee they pay to authors ($600 IIRC) I'd gladly waive, the point being to accrue fame (rather than fortune) among my ham radio peers. This, of course, assumes my submission should be accepted. In any case, the plans for everything I'd be posting as free downloads on-line, with zero commercial benefits whatsoever attached.

What might be my standing with the EDU-license agreement on such use as that?