1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2018 3:58 PM by Steven Dod

Check out dialog "file is open in another application" for one of references

Ctm Pdm Admin

Cannot check out a file that has one of its references open in another application on the same machine? example below. Can't check out the assembly with its component already open. Or second example, can't check out PDF because one of its references is open

BUT can check out the same PDF or assembly on another machine with no problem.

Is this normal behavior?

• Re: Check out dialog "file is open in another application" for one of references
          Steven Dod

Yes it is normal behavior and can be aggravating as well.  If the reference is open on your machine the file is loaded and locked in memory.  That is not the case on another computer.  That is why the PDM add-in is in Solidworks to perform PDM functions when the file is open.

My favorite is not being able to rename a file because someone has an assembly checked out that is several level ups and not affected by the rename.  Drives me nuts that I have to check in pretty much everything in the vault sometimes just to rename a lowly part.