6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2018 3:27 PM by Vladimir Urazhdin

How to manage Global Variables in Assemblies ?

Henk Bruijn De

I have been reading many posts about managing GV's (Global Variables) in Assemblies, but have not found a clear solution which is robust (reliable), fast rebuilding and easy to apply.

In my case I want to use it in SSP (Skeleton Sketch Part) Assembly type.

I have read about linking a GV to an external file, but this seems a bit clumsy to me.

Solidworks allows you to push and pull a GV from almost anywhere in the model (Feature tree), in- or out of context, which actually seems an invitation to circular rebuilds and or slow rebuilds.

So far my I decided to push the GV's according to this picture;

All of the GV's are defined in the SSP-part, and from there they can be pushed to equations in all other Parts, Sub-Assemblies and the Main-top-level-Assembly.

It seems to work fine so far.

lease let me know your ideas about this.

• Re: How to manage Global Variables in Assemblies ?
          Henk Bruijn De

I have tested some options and discovered that using GV’s (Global Variables) in an Assembly with Sub-Assemblies can be a mess, when not organized.

I designed a special model to test some things. The model is a roughly a flexible hose with flanges and fasteners, showing a straight position and a bended position in different Configurations. I choose to use SSP method because it is well organized by default. Since the SSP-part is driving almost everything, it first seemed logically to put all the GV’s in the Equations of the SSP-part.

All the Parts can pulll the GV from the SSP-part, and also the Main-Assy can pull the GV from the SSP-part.

However, the Main-Assy has patterns which are controlled by some GV’s. If the GV is defined in an Equation of the SSP-part, than the information has to be pulled from the Equation in the Main-Assy and be pushed back to Feature in the Main-Assy. This seems not robust enough to me. The other option is to split the GV’s in the SSP-part and in the Main-Assy. This will be fine until you want to control the GV’s with Configurations and a DT (DesignTable). Than you have 2 different DT’s in 2 different files!  I decided to put all the GV’s in Equations of the Main-Assy. The model is included.

Further thougts:

• - is this the best way to handle GV’s in an Assembly?
          • - The labels do not scale nicely, do they need to parametrically controlled by the DT ?
          • - Ideally, the size of fasteners has to be also controlled by the DT (working on it).
              Alexander Klammer

Hi Henk,

Looks like the best approach possible right now to me.

Have you used this on a large scale already?, first look seems like the approach to go with. - Had a lot of problems with huge saving times at piping/media assemblies with external references to the respective interfaces in the buildings.

Nevertheless changing the same dimension in numerous parts when modifying a design in monkey work style is no proper approach in any way either.

When driving this further i think the limits are where a CAD Configurator comes in.

BR

Alex

Henk Bruijn De

Hi Alexander ,

I have not used it on large scale, the model was just an example.

Actually I have decided to leave this subject untouched for the time being, because I'm running out of ideas to create a nice parametric model.

The combination of fasteners, labels and all other dimensions and configurations  is more difficult to manage than I thought.

Another dilemma thing:

If I manage the configurations for fasteners with a design table in the main-assy, than the fasteners have to be components in the main-assy. I'm afraid this will reduce main-assy rebuild performance very much.

Thanks.

Henk

Vladimir Urazhdin

SSK works fine, but it's also possible to link Global Variables directly both ways Top Level <-> Parts/Sub-assemblies.