3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2018 1:39 PM by robert dattilo

Change session that Solidworks opens a file with.

robert dattilo

Hello;

If I open a Solidworks session, I'll sometimes open a second session. If I then go to open a file, let's say by double clicking, it will open up in the second session contrary to the first. Is there a way  to control which session SW choses to open the files in?  It used to open in the first before I changed computers.

Thanks in advance for any input;

Rob_D SW 2017 sp5

• Re: Change monitor that Solidworks opens a file with
          Doug Seibel

Don't open by double-clicking.

Drag to the session you want it opened in, or simply open it from within that session.

• Re: Change session that Solidworks opens a file with.
              robert dattilo

Hello;

Thanks for the reply. The drag drop worked. I should have mentioned we have  Pdm Pro, & sometimes I'll have done a search and the files will be right there for opening etc. From there I'll double or right click the file, which is easier than going through the channels from the session. It's good to know files can just be dragged to the session of choice from that location.

Thanks,

Rob_D

• Re: Change session that Solidworks opens a file with.
                  robert dattilo

Hello;

I still find that going into the pdm search & double clicking the file can be more convenient at times, as a drag drop if assemblies are opened can be mis-interpreted as a insert component or assy. etc., then you might find yourself closing various applications which becomes again time consuming. So again if I do a search in pdm, then wish to open a file, if I double click it opens generally in the second session of SW, or the secondary monitor side of my system. I would like it to open in the primary session & primary monitor. This just happened when I got a new computer, & we also went from windows 7 to 10.

Any other Ideas at all on this topic?

Thanks again in advance for any input.

Rob_D SW 2017 sp5