3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2018 10:24 AM by Ryan Dark

Why won't this mesh?

Jacob Murray

I've been working on this for days now and I think I am starting to go slightly insane. I want to test the attached model in 120 km/h winds (in the x direction) to see what torque is developed at a designated point. I have done the fluid flow simulation to get the fluid pressure effects that I have then imported that into the static study. I have then defined the material (I set it as 1020 steel, but I really just want a rigid test of a single solid body). I've tried all different types of contact sets and global contacts but it is spitting out a heap of meshing errors and the diagnostics haven't been helpful. Is anyone able to let me know what I am doing wrong here?

• Re: Why won't this mesh?
          Ryan Dark

Hi Jacob,

Your model has a large number of bodies and I expect that they will probably struggle to all mesh if you use a "Compatible Mesh" (a mesh requiring aligning nodes between meshed bodies).  I tested with an "Incompatible Mesh" (edit the 'Global Contact Bonded' definition and set the mesh options to "Incompatible") and it looks like all bodies are then able to mesh.

Jacob Murray

Hi Ryan. Thanks for helping out with this. I tried to do the same and set the mesh option to "Incompatible Mesh" but I am still getting hundreds of parts not meshing. Are you able to let me know what you settings you used for the mesh, or anything else you might have done differently?

Capture.PNG

Ryan Dark

Along with "Incompatible Mesh" these are the mesh parameters I used on this particular successful mesh:

I also made a brand new study with otherwise default settings applied to it so there may be other settings in your setup that I did not account for.